Log Derivative of a Function: Find Derivatives of f(c,l) with Example"

In summary, the log derivative of a function is a mathematical concept used to find the derivative of a function with respect to its parameters. It is calculated using the chain rule and properties of logarithms, allowing for easier calculation and interpretation of complicated functions. It is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, statistics, and machine learning, as well as in optimization problems.
beaf123

Homework Statement

f(c,l) = log(c - ψ(1-l)^θ )

What is the derivative of this function wrt. l and c?

Homework Equations

I know that the derivative of log (x) = 1/x

The Attempt at a Solution

I got wrt c:

1/ c - ψ(1-l)θ

and wrt l: θψ(1-l)^θ-1 / c - ψ(1-l)^θ

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the chain rule.
##\frac{d}{dt} f(g(t)) =f'(g(t)) * g'(t). ##
If log is your f, and the stuff inside is your g, your first part, f'(g) would be ##\frac{1}{c-\psi (1-l)^\theta}##. Then you will need to multiply by the derivative of g wrt. whichever variable you are looking at.

edit: This may very well be what you did, but without proper parentheses, I can't tell.

Thak you. Yes, that is wahrt I did.

beaf123 said:

Homework Statement

f(c,l) = log(c - ψ(1-l)^θ )

What is the derivative of this function wrt. l and c?

Homework Equations

I know that the derivative of log (x) = 1/x

The Attempt at a Solution

I got wrt c:

1/ c - ψ(1-l)θ

and wrt l: θψ(1-l)^θ-1 / c - ψ(1-l)^θ

Those are wrong: you should not be getting
[tex] f_c(c,l) = \frac{1}{c} - \psi(1-l) \theta [/tex]
which is exactly what you wrote.

Yeah. I messed up the paranthesis. Thanks for telling me what I should not be getting though

beaf123 said:
Yeah. I messed up the paranthesis. Thanks for telling me what I should not be getting though

Well, maybe with proper parentheses, and fixing up ##(1-l)^{\theta}##, your result could be correct. It would be a shame to lose marks on an assignment by not using parentheses when it really takes little extra time.

Related to Log Derivative of a Function: Find Derivatives of f(c,l) with Example"

1. What is the log derivative of a function?

The log derivative of a function is a mathematical concept used to find the derivative of a function with respect to its parameters. It is a useful tool in optimization and statistical analysis.

2. How is the log derivative of a function calculated?

The log derivative of a function is calculated using the chain rule and the properties of logarithms. First, take the natural logarithm of the function. Then, use the chain rule to find the derivative of the natural logarithm. Finally, simplify the resulting expression to find the log derivative of the original function.

3. What are the benefits of using the log derivative of a function?

The log derivative of a function allows for easier calculation of derivatives of complicated functions, which is useful in optimization and statistical analysis. It also helps to identify the relationship between the parameters and the function, making it easier to interpret the results.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the log derivative of a function?

Let's say we have a function, f(c,l) = cl^2. First, we take the natural logarithm of the function: ln(f(c,l)) = ln(cl^2). Then, we use the chain rule to find the derivative of the natural logarithm: ln(f(c,l))' = (1/f(c,l)) * f(c,l)'. Finally, we simplify the expression to get the log derivative: ln(f(c,l))' = (1/cl^2) * c * 2l = 2l/c.

5. In what fields is the log derivative of a function commonly used?

The log derivative of a function is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, statistics, and machine learning. It is also heavily used in optimization problems, where finding the derivative of a function is a crucial step in finding the optimal solution.