1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithm help

1. Apr 17, 2006 #1
    ok im having abit of trouble solving the find x type of questions
    the 3 questions ive got are

1.) solve x for the following equation
    loge(x) + loge(3x+1) = 1

2.) solve x
    2loge(x) + loge4 = loge(9x-2)

3.) Given that loga(N) = 1/2(loga(24) - loga(0.375) - 6loga(3) ) find the value of N ..now i was wondering if ne-one would be able to help me with these types of questions cause i dont know how to approach em:bugeye:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Are you familiar with logarithmic identities?

[tex]b\cdot log(a)=log(a^b)[/tex]
  4. Apr 17, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You must have been studying the properties of logs.

What is logx + logy equivenent to?

What about alogx ? Look at your basic properties and think about how to apply them to your problem.
  5. Apr 17, 2006 #4
    Yeah i am familiar with them and when i tried applying them i got answers that didnt match when i tried putting them in a ti-83 calculator to match u can use second table to get rough answers but i would appreciate being bale to do them without a calculator
  6. Apr 17, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Show us your work.
  7. Apr 18, 2006 #6
    oh its alright ive managed to figure out 2 and 3 after extensive rubbing out and many attempts lol now im sure if i can do them that i should be able to do the first one
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?