What is the Antiderivative of x^(-2) with Given Conditions?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the function f(x) given that f''(x) = x^(-2) and x > 0. The first derivative is found to be f'(x) = -x^(-1) + C, and using the input and output values of f(x), the constants are determined to be C = ln|8|/7 and D = 0. The final function is given as f(x) = -ln|x| + (x*ln|8|)/7 - ln|8|/7.
RedBarchetta
Find f. (x>0)
f''(x) = x^(-2)
x > 0
f(1) = 0
f(8) = 0

Alright, everything was fine until one point...okay. First derivative:
f''(x)=x[tex]^{-2}[/tex]
f'(x)=-x[tex]^{-1}[/tex]+C

Now here's where I'm not sure: in the next step, it will be x raised to zero, which is one. times 1/0, which is zero, but...my physics professor informed me that it is actually, the natural log of the absolute value of x.

f(x)=-ln|x|+Cx+D

Now, use the above input & output values of f(x) to divulge the constants.

f(1)=C+D=0
f(8)=-ln|8|+8c+D=0

C+D=0
8c+D=ln|8|
8c-c=ln|8|
7c=ln|8|

C=[tex]\frac{ln|8|}{7}[/tex]

Now, plug in:

f(x)=-ln|x|+[tex]\frac{x*ln|8|}{7}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{ln|8|}{7}[/tex]

Does this look right? I'm not quite sure about the x in the second term in that equation. I only have one more try on my online homework thing. :smile: Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me :approve:

Since 8 is a positive number, |8|= 8. Your "online homework thing" may object to |8| rather than 8. (That's why I hate those things!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! The answer was correct, and the checker decided to take my answer. What a surprise.

Related to What is the Antiderivative of x^(-2) with Given Conditions?

1. What is a logarithmic antiderivative?

A logarithmic antiderivative is the inverse operation of taking the logarithm of a function. It involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the given function.

2. How do you find the logarithmic antiderivative of a function?

The process of finding the logarithmic antiderivative involves using the properties of logarithms and integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the difference between a logarithmic antiderivative and a logarithmic derivative?

A logarithmic antiderivative is the inverse operation of taking the logarithm of a function, while a logarithmic derivative is the derivative of a logarithmic function. In other words, the logarithmic antiderivative "undoes" the logarithmic derivative.

4. Can any function have a logarithmic antiderivative?

No, not all functions have a logarithmic antiderivative. Only functions that can be expressed as a logarithmic function can have a logarithmic antiderivative.

5. What are some real-world applications of logarithmic antiderivatives?

Logarithmic antiderivatives are commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering to model growth and decay, such as in population growth or radioactive decay. They are also used in finance to calculate compound interest and in signal processing to analyze the frequency components of a signal.