Logarithmic Integral Homework: Solving S [(e^x)(e^x)]/((2+(e^x))^2) dx

In summary, to solve the integral S (e^(2x))/((2+(e^x))^2) dx, we use the substitution u = 2+(e^x) and du = (e^x)dx. This results in the new integral S [du(u-2)]/(u^2). By splitting the numerator, we can integrate the fractions separately and get ln(2+(e^x)) + 2/(2+(e^x)).
ppkjref

Homework Statement

S = integral symbol
S (e^(2x))/((2+(e^x))^2) dx

Homework Equations

u = 2+(e^x)
(e^x) = u-2
du = (e^x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

S [(e^x)(e^x)]/((2+(e^x))^2) dx
S [du(u-2)]/(u^2)
For the first (e^x) dx I substituted du. And since there was only (e^x) left, I substituted in u-2.
Now what do I do?
I know how to do du/(u^2). but what about the (u-2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you need to find [tex] \int \frac{u-2}{u^2} du [/tex] . Just split the numerator like this: [tex] \frac{a+b}{c} = \frac{a}{c} + \frac{b}{c} [/tex].

the a/c fraction is u/(u^2), equivalent to 1/u which when integrated is 0?

[tex] \int \frac{1}{u} du = \log_e u [/tex].

You should be familiar with that already.

ln(2+(e^x) + 2/(2+(e^x))
Just needed a break I guess. Wasn't thinking.

Last edited:
ppkjref said:
ln(2+(e^x)) + 2/(2+(e^x))
Just needed a break I guess. Wasn't thinking.

An unmatched left parentheses can haunt you all day.

1. What is the purpose of solving logarithmic integral homework?

The purpose of solving logarithmic integral homework is to develop a deeper understanding of the properties and applications of logarithmic functions. It also helps in strengthening problem-solving skills and improving mathematical reasoning.

2. How do we approach solving logarithmic integral problems?

To solve logarithmic integral problems, we first need to identify the logarithmic function present in the integrand and use appropriate logarithmic rules to simplify it. Then, we can apply integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to evaluate the integral.

3. What is the formula for solving logarithmic integral problems?

The formula for solving logarithmic integral problems depends on the specific form of the integral. However, some commonly used formulas include the power rule, the substitution rule, and the integration by parts rule.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithmic integral problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithmic integral problems include forgetting to use logarithmic rules, incorrect substitution, and making errors in the integration process. It is essential to carefully follow the steps and check the answer for accuracy.

5. What are some real-world applications of logarithmic integrals?

Logarithmic integrals have various real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they are used to model exponential growth and decay, calculate the work done by a variable force, and estimate the time it takes for an investment to double in value.