1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic gates ?

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How can you inhibit NAND & NOT gate ? Mention whether the inhibit is active high or active low ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

No clue to this question
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2
    What does it mean to inhibit a gate?
  4. Mar 20, 2008 #3
    i myself don't know ? there are 16 boolean combinations for a 2 input gate & inhibit is one of them but i don't know more about it
  5. Mar 20, 2008 #4
    After some googling, the "inhibit gate" seems to be just an AND gate with one of the inputs called "the condition" or something like that. Perhaps the problem is asking you to build an AND gate from a NAND gate and from a NOR gate.
  6. Mar 20, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Inhibit" is not a term that most engineers would recognize. I suppose the question is asking "how do you disable a gate, so it's output remains constant."

If you tie one input of an AND gate low, then it's output will always be low, no matter what happens on the other inputs.

If you tie one input of an OR gate high, then it's output will always be high, no matter what happens on the other inputs.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?