Long-term behaviour of solution to ODE: oscillatory

• Thread starter jellicorse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the solution to the differential equation is Q=25+(\frac{sin(t)-625cos(t)+63150e^{-\frac{t}{50}}}{2501}) when Q_0= 50. The long-term behavior of the solution is an oscillation about Q=25 with an amplitude of approximately 1/4. The amplitude can be determined by comparing the oscillatory part of the solution with the right-hand side of the angle sum formula.
jellicorse

Homework Statement

I wondered if anyone could advise me how to proceed with this question.

The solution to the differential equation [tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}= \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}sin(t)-\frac{Q}{50}[/tex] is [tex]Q=25+(\frac{sin(t)-625cos(t)+63150e^{-\frac{t}{50}}}{2501})[/tex]

when [tex]Q_0= 50[/tex]

"The long-term behaviour of the solution is an oscillation about a certain constant level. What is this level? What is the amplitude of oscillation?"

I have plotted the solution and can see that it tails off and oscillates around what looks like a level of Q=25.

Would I be right in saying the oscillation's minimum will be Q=25, as this is the least value the expression for Q can realize?

My biggest problem is finding the amplitude of oscillation. I can see that the term involving 'e' at the end of the expression for Q goes to zero for large 't'. But I am not sure how to obtain the amplitude from what is left.

Physics news on Phys.org
The amplitude of ##A\cos(\omega t) + B\sin(\omega t)## is ##\sqrt{A^2+B^2}##.

jellicorse said:

Homework Statement

I wondered if anyone could advise me how to proceed with this question.

The solution to the differential equation [tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}= \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}sin(t)-\frac{Q}{50}[/tex] is [tex]Q=25+(\frac{sin(t)-625cos(t)+63150e^{-\frac{t}{50}}}{2501})[/tex]

when [tex]Q_0= 50[/tex]

"The long-term behaviour of the solution is an oscillation about a certain constant level. What is this level? What is the amplitude of oscillation?"

I have plotted the solution and can see that it tails off and oscillates around what looks like a level of Q=25.

Would I be right in saying the oscillation's minimum will be Q=25, as this is the least value the expression for Q can realize?

No, 25 is the value about which the solution oscillates in the long term.

My biggest problem is finding the amplitude of oscillation. I can see that the term involving 'e' at the end of the expression for Q goes to zero for large 't'. But I am not sure how to obtain the amplitude from what is left.

Compare the oscillatory part of your solution with the right hand side of the angle sum formula
[tex]
R\cos(\phi + t) = R\cos\phi\cos t - R\sin\phi \sin t
[/tex]
and hence determine [itex]R > 0[/itex] (and [itex]\phi[/itex], which you don't actually need here).

Thanks LCKurtz and pasmith... I need to revisit those angle sum formulas for a bit.

jellicorse said:
1. I have plotted the solution and can see that it tails off and oscillates around what looks like a level of Q=25.

2. Would I be right in saying the oscillation's minimum will be Q=25, as this is the least value the expression for Q can realize?

3. My biggest problem is finding the amplitude of oscillation. I can see that the term involving 'e' at the end of the expression for Q goes to zero for large 't'. But I am not sure how to obtain the amplitude from what is left.

1 you should be to see that at a glance at the formulae without plotting.

2. It oscillates about 25 as was already pointed out - have you copied the question correctly as it would be surprising if this were not asked? Especially as asking the minimum and asking the amplitude is practically the same question.

3. You should immediately realize that tha amplitude is going to be very little different from 625/2501 ≈ 1/4. In fact it seems to me that 626/2501 should be a very good approximation, the angle where the maximum occurs being approximately 1/626 radians.

Yes, the question did ask around what value it oscillates... After a bit of revision on the basic trig, I think I can see how this works now. Thanks.

FAQ: Long-term behaviour of solution to ODE: oscillatory

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What does it mean for a solution to an ODE to be oscillatory?

An oscillatory solution to an ODE is one that exhibits periodic behavior, meaning it repeats itself over a certain interval of time. This can be visualized as a curve that goes up and down repeatedly.

3. How do you determine the long-term behavior of a solution to an ODE?

The long-term behavior of a solution to an ODE can be determined by analyzing the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the associated matrix. The eigenvalues can indicate whether the solution will approach a steady state or exhibit oscillatory behavior.

4. What factors can affect the long-term behavior of a solution to an ODE?

The coefficients and initial conditions of the ODE, as well as any external forces or constraints, can all affect the long-term behavior of the solution. Additionally, the order and linearity of the ODE can also play a role.

5. Can an ODE have multiple solutions with different long-term behaviors?

Yes, an ODE can have multiple solutions with different long-term behaviors depending on the initial conditions. This is known as the principle of superposition, where the combination of multiple solutions can create a unique solution with its own long-term behavior.

Back