Looking for a new textbook describing Differential Equations - recommendations?

In summary, the speaker shares their experience with a lack of clear explanations and examples in their calculus 4 textbook. They ask for recommendations for a better textbook, preferably one that is not too expensive. They also mention using online resources, such as "paul's math notes," and ask for other suggestions. The speaker also advises reaching out to the professor or teaching assistant for additional help.
NutriGrainKiller
This is my fourth week of calc4, and today we had our first test - which I do not believe I did too well on. I think differential equations are interesting (even fun), but our textbook lacks examples and proper explanations for the material we cover. As a result I turn to the internet and solutions manual to try to work backwards to see what they did.

This is vastly ineffecient and I feel if the book could just clearly and completely describe its processes I wouldn't have to waste time connecting the dots between several different sources.

With this said, can anyone recommend a textbook? I'd prefer to not go full-blown college edition just because they tend to be outrageously priced (at least the current ones), but i don't want to stoop down to the "dummies" books just because they tend to be not as thorough.

I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of review book - one that quickly and accurately describes the primary topics but skips through all the intermediate jibbajabba (so-to-speak).

If anyone has any suggestions as to online resources I would be greatly appreciative - I found that "paul's math notes" were very helpful, though it only covered a few topics.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experience with the textbook and your search for additional resources. As a scientist who has also taught calculus, I understand the frustration of not having clear explanations and examples in a textbook.

I would recommend looking into textbooks by authors such as James Stewart, Ron Larson, or Howard Anton. These authors are known for their clear and comprehensive explanations, and their textbooks are often used in college-level calculus courses. You can also try searching for older editions of these textbooks, which may be more affordable.

In addition to textbooks, there are also many online resources available for studying differential equations. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Paul's Online Math Notes, as you have already discovered. These resources often have video lectures, practice problems, and step-by-step solutions that can supplement your textbook.

Lastly, I would suggest reaching out to your professor or teaching assistant for additional help and clarification on the material. They may have additional resources or tips for understanding the material better.

I hope these suggestions help you in your studies. Remember to keep practicing and don't get discouraged by one test – with determination and the right resources, you can excel in calculus 4. Good luck on your journey!

1. What is the best textbook for learning about Differential Equations?

It ultimately depends on your level of understanding and your specific needs. However, some commonly recommended textbooks include "Differential Equations: An Introduction" by James R. Brannan and William E. Boyce, "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, and "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard.

2. Are there any textbooks that are particularly helpful for visual learners?

Yes, "Differential Equations with Boundary Value Problems" by Dennis G. Zill and Warren S. Wright includes numerous diagrams and visual aids to help students better understand the material.

3. What are the key concepts that should be covered in a good Differential Equations textbook?

A good textbook should cover topics such as first-order differential equations, higher-order differential equations, numerical methods, systems of differential equations, and applications of differential equations in various fields.

4. Is it important for a Differential Equations textbook to have exercises and practice problems?

Yes, practice problems are crucial for reinforcing understanding and developing problem-solving skills. Look for textbooks that include a variety of exercises, ranging from basic to advanced, with solutions provided.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a Differential Equations textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice problems with solutions. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Wolfram MathWorld.