Where Can I Find a 1 mm Cube for Visual Demonstrations?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube
In summary: I am thinking more about using a black tube to enclose the whole thing.In summary, the person looking for a 1 mm cube for a video project found suggestions for finding the cube in beads and cubes made of Styrofoam. They also found that a cube made of Styrofoam may not be the best option because it is not reflective or shiny. They will probably go to a bead store and a hobby store to follow up on ideas. They also found a way to create a 1 mm cube using a 3D printer.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am looking for a nice looking 1 mm cube to use in a video I want to make.
I am looking for suggestions about possible sources. I don't really want to mess around with making one right now and I would prefer (at least now) practical effects to using a 3D animation program.

So far I have only found 1 mm cubes in beads (like for making necklaces etc.).
Many beads have rounded edges and most have holes in them (not optimal) which I would rather avoid, but they can be made to show up well with lighting (many are shiny and/or refractive which is visually good).

A cubic mm to a cubic m is a 1: 1,000,000,000 relationship, which is what I want to demonstrate visually.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that's not the kind of answer you are looking for, but I would cut one myself. A sharp knife and a 1 mm plywood, or paperboard, or piece of styrofoam and you are ready in under a minute.

Tiny cube v1.png

How many do you want ?

Borek said:
I know that's not the kind of answer you are looking for, but I would cut one myself. A sharp knife and a 1 mm plywood, or paperboard, or piece of styrofoam and you are ready in under a minute.

I was thinking of the wood approach, but I want to be able to light it up well (on a dght workark background) since it would be small compared to a meter.
White Styrofoam might work well though.

Better get a lot - they will be easy to lose.

It might be easier to find latex spheres with volume of 1 mm.

1 mm square abs plastic strip is available from hobby stores and online . https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/1.00-x-1.00-PMS40.html#SID=190

I think your probably going to have to make them

Nidum said:
How many do you want ?
Just one, but having extras would probably be a good idea (anticipating losses).

Andy SV said:
I think your probably going to have to make them
Maybe, but it nice to get a bunch of other ideas to consider.

I'll probably check out a bead store (there are several around here) and a hobby store on Monday to follow up on some of the ideas.

Or might just use a 3D animation program.

Well good luck then
I hope you find something nice

Likes BillTre
Likes rbelli1 and Vanadium 50
A 3D printer should be able to create that, do you know anyone who has one?

Interesting idea.

I have a 3D printer. Its a fused filament type printer, which is like a CAD driven heat glue gun.
I could send a file for printing to any of several companies though, which makes finer resolved printing and would make more of a variety of materials available including more choices of clear materials and metals. This might be worth doing if I can't find what I'm looking for.

I want something shiny or clear for lighting purposes, for doing the photography. The materials I've used have just been opaque plastics (ABS and PLA).

you can get square fiber optic cable in a 1mm size some fast easy work with a razer you can have all you want I have used it so I know it's available
Snip snip snip

I've been looking around for materials and have found that although beads exist that are called 1 mm., they are in fact larger. Some are as large as 1.5 mm! I think their larger sizes are probably more accurately sized.

I will probably end up cutting a square rod into cubes eventually. Maybe sanding the ends.

I got some 1 mm square rod (styrene) from a hobby shop that was supposed to be 1 mm square. It is better 1.17 x 1.25 mm.
I think I'll go back and see what smaller sizes they have.

I am now considering how it might be illuminated (I am concerned about such a small thing showing up well (a mm cube in a meter cube)):
  • reflected normal incident light.
  • use fluorescent plastic and illuminate with UV, making it an emitter.
  • connect a clear cube to a fiber optic fiber and illuminate from with in (also making it an emitter).
    I guess this could be but with UV and Fluorescence also.
If a fiber optic fiber is painted black, will it still act as a fiber optic fiber or will it lose its internal reflectance?
If so I would want to put a black tube around it.

You really need to have some additional texture in a sheet of assembled cubes to make individual cubes visible .

For bigger blocks I'd say chamfer the edges of the blocks so as to get mini grooves at all the joins .

Maybe for these tiny blocks you could scribe grooves down all the joint lines .

Derivative thought - could you use sheets or blocks of material instead of individual cubes and just scribe the cubes on the faces ?

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
I've been looking around for materials and have found that although beads exist that are called 1 mm., they are in fact larger. Some are as large as 1.5 mm! I think their larger sizes are probably more accurately sized.

I will probably end up cutting a square rod into cubes eventually. Maybe sanding the ends.

I got some 1 mm square rod (styrene) from a hobby shop that was supposed to be 1 mm square. It is better 1.17 x 1.25 mm.
I think I'll go back and see what smaller sizes they have.

I am now considering how it might be illuminated (I am concerned about such a small thing showing up well (a mm cube in a meter cube)):
  • reflected normal incident light.
  • use fluorescent plastic and illuminate with UV, making it an emitter.
  • connect a clear cube to a fiber optic fiber and illuminate from with in (also making it an emitter).
    I guess this could be but with UV and Fluorescence also.
If a fiber optic fiber is painted black, will it still act as a fiber optic fiber or will it lose its internal reflectance?
If so I would want to put a black tube around it.
Yes you can paint it black and it will still work fine. We painted the full length of exposed fiber and the LEDs themselves to control color purity for a photo printer head

Likes BillTre
Last edited:
Likes BillTre
I've ordered some of the 1 mm magnets.
Have not gotten them yet.

Meanwhile, I also got some 1 mm square strips of styrene (plastic model plastic) from a local hobby shop.
Of the 10 pieces, only two were reasonably square (within 5% of 1.00 x 1.00).
It get the length right and have the cuts somewhat at right angles, I made a little microtome:
20170421-IMG_4261.jpg

I used the micrometer on the microtome stage (which I salvaged) to push (via bent wire) a piece of plastic forward.
The plastic square rod is taped to the plastic with double sided tape.
A razor blade is held between the two metal blocks

20170421-IMG_4266.jpg

Everything is held in place by two sided tape and heat glue.

This is one of the resulting cubes.
20170421-IMG_4255.jpg

Related to Where Can I Find a 1 mm Cube for Visual Demonstrations?

1. What is a "Nice 1 mm Cube"?

A "Nice 1 mm Cube" is a small, cube-shaped object with sides measuring 1 millimeter in length. It can be made of various materials such as plastic, metal, or wood.

2. Why would someone be looking for a "Nice 1 mm Cube"?

There are many reasons why someone might be searching for a "Nice 1 mm Cube". It could be for a science experiment, a DIY project, or as a component for a larger machine or device. Some people also collect small objects like cubes as a hobby.

3. Where can I find a "Nice 1 mm Cube"?

The easiest place to find a "Nice 1 mm Cube" is at a science supply store or online retailer. They may also be available at hobby shops or specialty stores that sell small objects. If you have access to a 3D printer, you can also create your own "Nice 1 mm Cube" using a design file.

4. How precise does the measurement need to be for a "Nice 1 mm Cube"?

A "Nice 1 mm Cube" should have sides that measure exactly 1 millimeter in length, with minimal margin of error. This level of precision is important for scientific experiments and other applications where exact measurements are necessary.

5. What are some common uses for a "Nice 1 mm Cube"?

A "Nice 1 mm Cube" can have various uses, depending on the field of study or project. It can be used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts like volume and surface area. It can also be used in engineering projects as a building block for larger structures. Additionally, artists and crafters may use "Nice 1 mm Cubes" in their creations for added texture and dimension.