Looking for a Spectrometer? Check Out Our Reviews!

In summary, the conversation revolved around the need for a spectrometer for investigating reaction kinetics in a laboratory. The desired features included data logging and the ability to maintain a constant temperature. The budget was estimated to be around a couple thousand dollars, and suggestions were made for companies that produce high-quality spectrometers. There was also discussion about the proper regulations and disposal of chemicals in a lab setting. NMR and ReactIR were mentioned as possible options, with ReactIR being more expensive but effective for observing specific IR peaks. The conversation ended with a suggestion to research listings for available spectrometers within the desired budget.
androol
I'm designing my lab and so I want a spectrometer to investigate reaction kinetics eh.

I am looking for a data logging spectrometer that can keep the reaction at constant temperature. My teacher is probably going to buy it. Does anyone know what company makes good spectrometers? About a couple thousand dollars maybe. I don't know my prof's budget, but the school's rich.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What's your education level, and where are you going to build your lab? I would also be interested in hearing about some of the details of implementation. I'm not quite sure if it would be legal, however, be sure to adhere to the proper regulations of chemical disposal and the maintenance of chemicals, otherwise you may be facing a fine/jail time in the future.

NMR is a great way to do reaction kinetics if the rate of your reaction is compatable with the NMR time scale. Another good one is ReactIR, but that probably out of your price range (I think they are around $30,000), but I'm not positive of that. ReactIR is really only good if you have a nice IR peak to watch.

http://www.business.com/directory/industrial_goods_and_services/industrial_supplies/laboratory/analytical_instruments/spectrometers/

Ain't going to do your shopping for you --- you should get an idea of what's available for what kind of money if you snoop around on these listings.

Related to Looking for a Spectrometer? Check Out Our Reviews!

1. What is a spectrometer and how does it work?

A spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure and analyze the properties of light. It works by separating the different wavelengths of light and detecting them with a detector, such as a photodiode or a CCD camera. This allows for the identification and quantification of substances based on their unique spectral signatures.

2. What are the different types of spectrometers available?

There are several types of spectrometers, including optical emission spectrometers, mass spectrometers, infrared spectrometers, UV-Vis spectrometers, and Raman spectrometers. They differ in their principles of operation, detection methods, and applications.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a spectrometer?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a spectrometer include the spectral range, resolution, sensitivity, accuracy, and compatibility with different sample types. It is also important to consider the cost, ease of use, and availability of technical support.

4. Can I use a spectrometer for both qualitative and quantitative analysis?

Yes, most spectrometers can be used for both qualitative and quantitative analysis. Qualitative analysis involves identifying the presence of certain substances based on their spectral signatures, while quantitative analysis involves measuring the concentration or amount of a substance in a sample.

5. Are there any additional features or accessories that I should consider when purchasing a spectrometer?

Some additional features or accessories that may be useful for your specific needs include software for data analysis and interpretation, different sampling methods, and options for automation and data sharing. It is important to carefully assess your specific requirements before making a purchase decision.