Looking for further Relativity textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of studying relativity, specifically special and general theory, after finishing chapter 7 of Goldstein Classical Mechanics. The individual asks for textbook recommendations and inquires about the importance of having knowledge in electrodynamics. The response suggests that while it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of electrodynamics, it would be beneficial to have some basic knowledge before delving into general relativity. The conversation also recommends starting with a book that explains the need for relativity, such as Anthony French's special relativity, and mentions other recommended books for general relativity. In addition, the conversation mentions a book on classical field theory as a helpful addition for studying relativity.
GravitySK
I'm reading chapter 7 of Goldstein Classical Mechanics (the special relativity part)
I'm planning to take a deep(very deep!) study on Relativity(Both Special and General Theory) after finishing chapter 7 of Goldstein.
Which textbooks will you recommend?
If you could give me a suggestion with reason, it would help me a lot! Thank you!:smile:Also, I have only a little knowledge on Electrodynamics(like Maxwell equation, Some Electromagnetic theory)
Will it affect my study on relativity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GravitySK said:
Also, I have only a little knowledge on Electrodynamics(like Maxwell equation, Some Electromagnetic theory)
Will it affect my study on relativity?
You can learn special relativity without knowledge of electrodynamics. However, before jumping to general relativity, some knowledge of electrodynamics would be very useful.

You don't need to be an expert in electrodynamics to go for relativity but It is higly advisable that you are at least very familiar with basic facts about Maxwell's equations and with the electromagnetic nature of light.

I recommend that you start your relativity with a book that starts with "why" relativity is needed, something like Antonhy French's special relativity.

How much deep?
You can go for Jackson's excellent book on Classical Electrodynamics for going somewhat deeper into application of theory. Special relativity has heavy application inside this topic(The other in Quantum mechanics called QED)(Obviously Special theory of relativity has its roots from electrodynamics only). For GR,there are lot of references (Assuming you have prerequisite). There are many standard books which follow modern approach to GR(In an algebraic fashion). Some of them are Wald's General relativity(This one is modern one), Weinberg's Gravitational and Cosmology(Somewhat old but still it is preferred),The famous MTW textbook,Gravitation(Also old),etc.

Likes Daverz and Demystifier

1. What is the best textbook for learning about Relativity?

The best textbook for learning about Relativity may vary depending on your level of understanding and specific interests. Some popular options include "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Robert Resnick and "General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists" by M.P. Hobson, G.P. Efstathiou, and A.N. Lasenby.

2. Are there any textbooks specifically for beginners in Relativity?

Yes, there are several textbooks designed for beginners in Relativity. Some examples include "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein and "Special Relativity and Classical Field Theory: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman.

3. Are there any textbooks that focus on the mathematical aspects of Relativity?

Yes, there are textbooks that specifically focus on the mathematical aspects of Relativity. Some options include "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz and "Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology: A Basic Introduction" by Ta-Pei Cheng.

4. Can you recommend a textbook that covers both Special and General Relativity?

Yes, "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll is a popular textbook that covers both Special and General Relativity.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about Relativity?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about Relativity. Some examples include online lectures, video tutorials, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites for these resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and The Einstein Online website.