Looking for interest in Carrol & Ostlie study group

In summary, the speaker is struggling to finish reading a book on Astrophysics and suggests forming a study group to go through the chapters together. They are unsure of where the group should be located and are open to suggestions. They also mention that people can ask questions in a designated thread for homework help.
jmccann
I have been slowly working through Carrol and Ostlie's Intro to Modern Astrophysics but at the rate I am going I will be dead before I finish.

My idea is that we will do ~ 1 chapter per month (I know that is slow compared to how fast it would be in a class, but w/ a full time job, 3 kids etc. I can't imaging going much faster) doing a good representative sample of the problems. People will post their solutions, then we will discuss.

I am not sure if it would be permitted to conduct the group at physicsforums or if the group would have to be located elsewhere.

If anyone is interested please pm me. If enough people (5?) are interested we can figure out where it should be located, work out a schedule and get started.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Alternatively, just ask topical questions here in this thread - and one can post HW questions in the HW forum.

1. What is the purpose of the Carrol & Ostlie study group?

The Carrol & Ostlie study group aims to discuss and analyze the research work of Carrol & Ostlie, specifically their book "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics". This study group will provide a platform for scientists and astrophysics enthusiasts to deepen their understanding of the subject and engage in meaningful discussions.

2. Who can join the Carrol & Ostlie study group?

The study group is open to anyone who has an interest in astrophysics and wants to learn more about the work of Carrol & Ostlie. This includes scientists, students, and individuals who are passionate about the subject.

3. How often does the Carrol & Ostlie study group meet?

The study group will meet once a week for an hour-long session. The meeting schedule will be decided by the members based on their availability.

4. Will there be any prerequisites to join the Carrol & Ostlie study group?

While there are no specific prerequisites, it would be beneficial for members to have a basic understanding of astrophysics concepts and terminology. However, anyone with a genuine interest in the subject is welcome to join.

5. How can I join the Carrol & Ostlie study group?

To join the study group, simply send an email expressing your interest to the designated organizer. You will then receive further instructions on how to join the group and participate in the discussions.