What Are Some Math-Based Topics for an Astrophysics Project?

In summary: These suggestions may be helpful for students looking for a math-focused topic for their astrophysics project.
Fragment
For our astrophysics class, we're asked to present to the class our research on a certain aspect of astrophysics/astronomy integrated with a relevant discipline of science (Students in comp. sci might choose to do a project on computer modeling of stars for example).

I'm looking for topic recommendations. My area is math, and the cross between astrophysics and math might make it dull for some of the students. This is an introductory course, and the teacher would also prefer if we did not base our project on topics he will teach later on (Black holes, special stars mainly).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Fragment said:
For our astrophysics class, we're asked to present to the class our research on a certain aspect of astrophysics/astronomy integrated with a relevant discipline of science (Students in comp. sci might choose to do a project on computer modeling of stars for example).

I'm looking for topic recommendations. My area is math, and the cross between astrophysics and math might make it dull for some of the students. This is an introductory course, and the teacher would also prefer if we did not base our project on topics he will teach later on (Black holes, special stars mainly).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have no idea at what level your at. So some suggestions to do with maths

- Orbits. How to calculate an orbit from a few observations
- Mass of galaxys/stars, how to do that
- Baryometric centre of two objects. Why is Pluto/Charon considered by some to be a double planet instead of a planet and a moon
- The maths of the even horizon of black holes (thanks to the people in the other thread)
- Escape velocities of various things e.g. earth, moon, solar system, galaxy

cheers

conan

1. What is the importance of choosing a good project topic?

A good project topic is crucial for a successful research project. It sets the foundation for your entire study and determines the direction and scope of your research. A good topic is one that is relevant, interesting, and has the potential to contribute to existing knowledge in your field.

2. How do I come up with a good project topic?

There are several ways to come up with a good project topic. You can start by identifying a problem or gap in current research that you are passionate about. You can also read articles and journals in your field to get inspiration. Additionally, talking to your peers and professors can help generate ideas for potential topics.

3. Can I change my project topic once I have started my research?

Yes, it is possible to change your project topic after you have started your research. However, it is important to discuss this with your supervisor to ensure that the new topic is feasible and aligns with your research goals. Changing your topic may also require you to adjust your research methods and timeline.

4. How do I know if my project topic is too broad or too narrow?

A topic that is too broad may be difficult to cover in-depth within the scope of a research project. On the other hand, a topic that is too narrow may limit your study and potential for significant findings. It is important to strike a balance and ensure that your topic is specific enough to be manageable but broad enough to provide room for exploration and analysis.

5. Can I use someone else's project topic for my own research?

No, it is not recommended to use someone else's project topic for your own research. This can be considered plagiarism and can have serious consequences. It is important to come up with your own unique topic that reflects your interests and abilities as a researcher.