1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loops and Magnets, Lenz's Law

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figures below show two different situations where a current may be induced in a loop according to Faraday's Law, with the direction given by Lenz' Law. The magnetic field is shown by the x's in Fig. 2. Select ALL correct answers (i.e. B, AC, BCD) for the current in the loop. (The compass directions are defined in the usual way.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A) fig2: Loop moving North, induced current `b'.
    B) fig1: Magnet moving West, induced current `a'.
    C) fig2: Loop moving South, no induced current.
    D) fig1: Loop moving West, induced current `a'.
    E) fig2: Loop moving East, induced current `b'.
    F) fig1: Magnet moving East, induced current `a'.

In figure 2, the magnetic field is strongest on the left, weakest on the right. As the magnetic field gets weaker, the current will flow clockwise (b) as the magnetic field gets stronger the current travels counterclockwise (a). since the magnetic field is the same if you move up or down, this means that C and E are true. Using the same principle for figure 1, (as they get closer together, the current flows counterclockwise, as they move apart, the current flows clockwise. This means that CEF should be the answer... What am i missing?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    any insight into this one?

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How do D & F differ? :wink:

5. Jul 29, 2008 #4
    jeez, why didnt i see that?:P So you would put your money on CDEF? i only have one attempt left at the question

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  6. Jul 30, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's what I'd put.

7. Jul 30, 2008 #6
    Correct! Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?