Lorentz boost to obtain parallel E and B fields?

In summary, the Lorentz transformation can be used to change the direction of electric and magnetic fields.
Xavier1900

Homework Statement

Suppose given an electric field [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and a magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] in some inertial frame. Determine the conditions under which there exists a Lorentz transformation to another inertial frame in which [itex]\vec{E} || \vec{B}[/itex]

Homework Equations

If we give a Lorentz boost along [itex]x_1[/itex]-direction, then in the boosted frame, electric and magnetic fields are given by
[tex]E_1' = E_1\\
E_2' = \gamma (E_2 - \beta B_3)\\
E_3' = \gamma (E_3 + \beta B_2)[/tex]
And similar for components of B fields.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with a frame in which the fields are parallel and see what kind of fields I can obtain after the transformation. The case where the boost is along the direction of E//B fields is trivial. Then I consider the case where I boost in the direction perpendicular to the E//B fields. By the equations I listed I find that I can produce E and B fields with some angle depending on [itex]\beta[/itex]. But I am not seeing how I can go further from here. Am I in the right direction? Or should I try some other approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to approach problems like these is to construct invariants - i.e quantities that are the same in all frames. For example, given a four-vector A, the quantity [itex] A^\mu A_\mu[/itex] has the same value in all frames. It turns out there are two invariants that can be constructed from the electromagnetic field tensor [itex] F^{\mu \nu}[/itex], and hence from E and B. Try to discover what these are - this will help answer the question.

phyzguy said:
One way to approach problems like these is to construct invariants - i.e quantities that are the same in all frames. For example, given a four-vector A, the quantity [itex] A^\mu A_\mu[/itex] has the same value in all frames. It turns out there are two invariants that can be constructed from the electromagnetic field tensor [itex] F^{\mu \nu}[/itex], and hence from E and B. Try to discover what these are - this will help answer the question.

Thanks for the hint. I realize that [itex]F_{\rho \sigma}\tilde{F}^{\rho\sigma} = -4 \vec{B}\cdot \vec{E}[/itex], which is a scalar. That means if E//B in one frame, [itex] \vec{E}\cdot \vec{B} \neq 0[/itex] in all frames. Thus I just need to find the right Lorentz boost for systems like that. I will try and see what I can find.

1. What is a Lorentz boost?

A Lorentz boost is a mathematical transformation that allows us to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in different reference frames. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is a Lorentz boost used to obtain parallel E and B fields?

A Lorentz boost can be applied to a set of equations known as the Maxwell equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. By applying the Lorentz boost, we can transform these equations into a new reference frame where the electric and magnetic fields appear parallel to each other.

3. Why is it useful to obtain parallel E and B fields?

Obtaining parallel E and B fields allows us to more easily analyze and understand the behavior of these fields in different reference frames. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how they can interact with each other.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Lorentz boost to obtain parallel E and B fields?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Lorentz boost. It can only be applied to situations where the electric and magnetic fields are constant and do not vary with time. It also assumes that the fields are uniform throughout space, which may not always be the case.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using a Lorentz boost to obtain parallel E and B fields?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of using a Lorentz boost. One example is in the field of particle accelerators, where the behavior of charged particles is described using electric and magnetic fields. The Lorentz boost allows us to understand how these particles will behave in different reference frames, which is crucial for designing and operating these complex machines.