1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Force and Coulomb Force

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In frame S, two identical point charges q move abreast along lines parallel to the x-axis, a distance r apart and with speed v. Determine the force in S that each exerts on the other:

a) using the lorentz force in conjunction with the field of a moving charged particle
    b) by transforming the Coulomb force from the particle's rest frame to the frame S

2. Relevant equations
    F = q(e + (U X B)/C)
    F = ke(q1q2/r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

For a) I am not sure how to incorporate r into the equation (i assume that u and v are the same for this problem...meaning I can use v in the equation instead of u. I think it has to do with the field of a moving charged particle, but I can't see how that relates in a way that I can use.

For b) I am not sure how that could be transformed. I know how to transform E and B using the covarient and Contravarient forms. And I dont see how the speed would fit into that...does it go back to the basic lorentz factor, that has v in it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2
    okay I think I figured out the second one. It is a lot simpler than I was thinking. But 1, I still have no idea. My teacher's hint was use www.physics.gmu.edu/~joe/PHYS428[/URL] topic 6 slide 15. But I do not see how that would work out...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook