Calculating the Lorentz Force of an Electron in Magnetic Field

In summary: The equation I entered was m { v_{perp}^2 \over r} (as you can check by left clicking on my equation to see the Latex code). It's just that the exponent "2" is so small that it is hard to see (I should have used tex anchors instead of itex anchors).
willydavidjr
A diagram I attached (you can view the website) shows a uniform magnetic field of magnetic flux density B[Wb/m^2] parallel to the x-axis. On the xy-plane, an electron of electric charge -e[C] and mass m[kg] departed from the x-axis in the direction of [tex]\theta[/tex][rad] with a speed of v[m/s]. Then the electron carried out a spiral movement on a cylinder whose side contains the x-axis.

This is the question: What is the magnitude of the Lorentz force acting on the electron?

My idea: F=qvBcos[tex]\theta[/tex]
so the magnitude of the force is:
F=(-e)(v)(B)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

Am I correct?
What would be the relationship of the mass on this question?

This is the website: www.geocities.com/willydavidjr/emf.html

Physics news on Phys.org
willydavidjr said:
A diagram I attached (you can view the website) shows a uniform magnetic field of magnetic flux density B[Wb/m^2] parallel to the x-axis. On the xy-plane, an electron of electric charge -e[C] and mass m[kg] departed from the x-axis in the direction of [tex]\theta[/tex][rad] with a speed of v[m/s]. Then the electron carried out a spiral movement on a cylinder whose side contains the x-axis.

This is the question: What is the magnitude of the Lorentz force acting on the electron?

Am I correct?
Almost... it's [itex] sin(\theta) [/itex] (remember, it's a cross product)
What would be the relationship of the mass on this question?

This is the website: www.geocities.com/willydavidjr/emf.html
I am not sure what you mean here...The mass does not enter the calculation of the force. If you woulsd then calculate the *acceleration* then the mass would enter, following Newton's second law.

I see. I was wrong with the cosine instead of sine. I found out also that if we will calculate the radius of the circle, we will need the Newtons law of motion together with the formula of magnetic force.

This is the last question: Find he time between the electron leaving its starting point and returning to the x-axis again. Let phi denote the circular constant.

willydavidjr said:

Be sure that you keep in mind the sings here. You are using vectors ! As has been stated before the cosine should be a sine.

To get the circular motion : do you know how to acquire the equation for the orbit (the path) if you know the force ? Since, you already know what this orbit is, i suggest you look at the formula's that caracterize a circular motion. Do you know these ?

marlon

I don't have any idea about the orbit but I know the magnetic force. Can you give me details on how to get this one?Thank you!

willydavidjr said:
I don't have any idea about the orbit but I know the magnetic force. Can you give me details on how to get this one?Thank you!
The motion is a sum of a motion at constant velocity in the same direction as the B field plus a circular motion at constant speed in the plane perpendicular to the B field.

So you must decompose the initial velocity in a component parallel to the B field, v_par and a component perpendicular, v_perp. For the perpendicular component just apply [itex] m {v_{perp}^2 \over r} = |q| v B sin \theta = |q| v_{perp} B [/itex] since "v sin(theta)" is the component of the velocity perpendicular to the B field (at the condition that theta is the angle between the B field and the velocity vector). Using this you can find the radius of the circle. Not only that but you can find how long it takes to complete a circle which is just the period of circular motion, [itex] T = {2 \pi r \over v_{perp}}[/itex] (of course, by that time the charge will have move along the x-axis so it won't get back to its initial position, it willhave moved a distance [itex] v_{par} T[/itex])

Your formula for the perpendicular component [tex]m \frac {v_perp}{r}[/tex] doesn't match with mass x acceleration. How is that so?

willydavidjr said:
Your formula for the perpendicular component [tex]m \frac {v_perp}{r}[/tex] doesn't match with mass x acceleration. How is that so?
The equation I entered was
[tex] m { v_{perp}^2 \over r} [/tex]
(as you can check by left clicking on my equation to see the Latex code). It's just that the exponent "2" is so small that it is hard to see (I should have used tex anchors instead of itex anchors).

Patrick

1. What is the Lorentz Force of an Electron in a Magnetic Field?

The Lorentz force is the force experienced by a charged particle, such as an electron, when it moves through a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is the Lorentz Force of an Electron Calculated?

The Lorentz force on an electron can be calculated using the equation F = qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge of the electron, v is the velocity of the electron, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is the Direction of the Lorentz Force?

The direction of the Lorentz force is always perpendicular to both the direction of the electron's motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the force will either push or pull the electron in a direction perpendicular to its original path.

4. How Does the Strength of the Magnetic Field Affect the Lorentz Force?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct effect on the magnitude of the Lorentz force. A stronger magnetic field will result in a larger force on the electron, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a smaller force.

5. What Are Some Real-World Applications of Calculating the Lorentz Force of an Electron in a Magnetic Field?

The Lorentz force is important in many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI machines, which use strong magnetic fields to produce images of the body's internal structures.