Louis de Broglie 1923 electron experiment showing waves

In summary, the behavior of electrons as waves and their interference with each other can be explained by wave-particle duality. The theory of ether has been largely disproven by the advent of special relativity and quantum mechanics. Gravity may play a role in the behavior of electrons. The proximity of the electron emitter or the material of the apparatus may also impact the flight paths of subsequent particles. However, the exact mechanism of this influence is still being studied and is dependent on the chosen interpretation of quantum mechanics.
jammieg
I was just wondering why they act like waves if the electrons are only fired one at a time and can't influence one another yet they do, is this why some physicist supported the ether theory, that there must be some medium without mass that allows transmission of light and such or maybe just influences the electrons by keeping tabs in a way?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume by 'act like waves' you mean that there distribution is the same as a diffraction pattern. Why they interfere with themselves, is simply down to wave-particle duality, a deeper explantion would be dependent on the QM interpretation that was choosen.

No physicist holds to the ether theory as was, this died out with advent of special relativity before the advent of QM.

Originally posted by jammieg
I was just wondering why they act like waves if the electrons are only fired one at a time and can't influence one another yet they do, is this why some physicist supported the ether theory, that there must be some medium without mass that allows transmission of light and such or maybe just influences the electrons by keeping tabs in a way?
Maybe because they are bound by gravity. That's a more logic explanation than particle.wave duality (which is pure QM magic!). Aspect's particles are emitted at the same moment. EPR tests show that groups of particles emitted at 'different' moments can have different spin, but each group emiited at the same moment has the same spin.

I wonder if a single electron was fired and the the apparatus was passed over with a magnet like deguassing then would the next fired electron not be so effected but travel more as a particle instead of wave. Like on my computer monitor if a get a magnet close enough it severely distorts the colours and bends the paths of the electrons, even after taking the magnet away the colour distortion remains, although I don't recommend anyone do this because I have a degaussing button any could otherwise harm the monitor, but I wonder if the materials of the housing of the monitor are retaining some of the magnetic influence and so influencing the next electrons in this way, and if so then might a single electrons fired in the apparatus influence the material of the apparatus like the magnet to influence the next electron or could it be in the vacuum itself? If it's in the vacuum then there ought to be something in the vacuum that retains the influence, is this the general idea of the choosen QM interpretation?
Thanks for bringing up the other thread jc.
Another thing is what if it where the proximity of the electron emitter to the electron itself or the space directly in front of the emitter that was being affected as a magnetic affects a monitor that was affecting the flight paths of the subsequent particles, I mean if the charge retainment is extremely close then it wouldn't have to be very strong to affect the flight path.
I'm fairly sure the the remaining slight colour distortion of the plastic and glass and wires of the monitor is a very sensitive indicator of the influences of magnetism on materials long after the magnet is moved away.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of Louis de Broglie's 1923 electron experiment?

Louis de Broglie's 1923 electron experiment was significant because it provided evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter. It showed that electrons, which were previously believed to only exhibit particle-like behavior, also exhibited wave-like behavior.

2. How did Louis de Broglie's experiment show that electrons have wave-like properties?

In his experiment, de Broglie passed electrons through a crystal lattice and observed diffraction patterns, similar to the patterns observed when light passes through a diffraction grating. This indicated that the electrons were behaving like waves, with specific wavelengths and frequencies.

3. What was the key concept behind de Broglie's experiment?

De Broglie's experiment was based on his proposal that particles, including electrons, have both wave-like and particle-like properties. This concept is known as wave-particle duality and is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

4. How did de Broglie's experiment contribute to the development of quantum mechanics?

De Broglie's experiment provided experimental evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter, which was a crucial component in the development of quantum mechanics. It helped scientists understand the behavior of subatomic particles and paved the way for further research in the field.

5. What are the real-world applications of de Broglie's experiment and the concept of wave-particle duality?

The understanding of wave-particle duality has led to the development of various technologies, such as electron microscopes, which use the wave-like properties of electrons to produce high-resolution images. It has also contributed to the development of quantum computing, which utilizes the wave-like behavior of particles to perform complex calculations. Additionally, this concept has had a significant impact on our understanding of the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.