Low Voltage Problem: Do I Need to Rerun Wiring?

In summary, the conversation revolves around replacing a hanging light with a ceiling fan in the dining room. After facing issues with the junction box not being able to support the ceiling fan, the individual went into the attic to pull the existing wire and place it in a new junction box. However, after installing the ceiling fan, it would not turn on and testing the wiring showed low voltage. The question is whether the wiring from the outlet to the switch needs to be rerun due to potentially defective wiring. Other suggestions include checking for voltage at the switch and the fuse or circuit breaker.
mumblemouth
had a hanging light in diniing room. wanted to replace with a ceiling fan but junction box would not hold a ceiling fan. so went into attic pulled existing wire only about 6 inches up to remove from junction box. placed wiring in new junction box after it was secured. after installing ceiling fan , would not turn on. tried to replace old light that was there would not turn on. tested wiring and now have low voltage... ? do i have to rerun the wiring from the outlet to the switch due to defective wiring? any other ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let me guess. You are using a digital voltmeter. I suspect it is simply picking up the AC field in the 'air' and giving you this reading. I suspect you have NO voltage. A connection is open somewhere. In this scenario I would say to myself: "What did I do that would/could cause this?"

Try checking for voltage at the switch.
Check the fuse or circuit breaker to see if it's good.

What voltage are you reading?

1. What is a low voltage problem?

A low voltage problem refers to a situation where the electrical voltage in a circuit is lower than the recommended level. This can lead to issues such as flickering lights, slow or malfunctioning appliances, and potential safety hazards.

2. How can I tell if I have a low voltage problem?

There are a few signs that may indicate a low voltage problem, such as dimming or flickering lights, slow or malfunctioning appliances, and frequent tripping of circuit breakers. Additionally, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage in your circuits to determine if it is below the recommended level.

3. What can cause a low voltage problem?

There are several potential causes of a low voltage problem, including outdated or faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, and issues with the power supply from your utility company. It is important to identify the specific cause in order to properly address the issue.

4. Do I need to rerun wiring to fix a low voltage problem?

In some cases, rerunning wiring may be necessary to fix a low voltage problem. This is typically the case if the issue is caused by outdated or faulty wiring. However, it is important to consult a professional electrician to properly assess the situation and determine the best course of action.

5. How can I prevent low voltage problems in the future?

To prevent low voltage problems, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain your electrical system. This includes checking for any damaged or outdated wiring, avoiding overloading circuits, and ensuring proper grounding. It is also recommended to have your electrical system inspected by a professional on a regular basis.