1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low Voltage Problem

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    had a hanging light in diniing room. wanted to replace with a ceiling fan but junction box would not hold a ceiling fan. so went into attic pulled existing wire only about 6 inches up to remove from junction box. placed wiring in new junction box after it was secured. after installing ceiling fan , would not turn on. tried to replace old light that was there would not turn on. tested wiring and now have low voltage... ??? do i have to rerun the wiring from the outlet to the switch due to defective wiring? any other ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2
    Let me guess. You are using a digital voltmeter. I suspect it is simply picking up the AC field in the 'air' and giving you this reading. I suspect you have NO voltage. A connection is open somewhere. In this scenario I would say to myself: "What did I do that would/could cause this?"

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try checking for voltage at the switch.
    Check the fuse or circuit breaker to see if it's good.

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What voltage are you reading?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?