Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low Voltage Problem

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    had a hanging light in diniing room. wanted to replace with a ceiling fan but junction box would not hold a ceiling fan. so went into attic pulled existing wire only about 6 inches up to remove from junction box. placed wiring in new junction box after it was secured. after installing ceiling fan , would not turn on. tried to replace old light that was there would not turn on. tested wiring and now have low voltage... ??? do i have to rerun the wiring from the outlet to the switch due to defective wiring? any other ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2
    Let me guess. You are using a digital voltmeter. I suspect it is simply picking up the AC field in the 'air' and giving you this reading. I suspect you have NO voltage. A connection is open somewhere. In this scenario I would say to myself: "What did I do that would/could cause this?"

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try checking for voltage at the switch.
    Check the fuse or circuit breaker to see if it's good.

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What voltage are you reading?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?