Understanding m.k.s. Units for Electric Field

In summary, the given electric field in m.k.s. units is E=10tx+0y+0z, with t as the independent variable in meters. The unit m.k.s. stands for metre-kilogram-second and is used in electro-magnetism, as opposed to cgs (centimeter-gram-second).
Acuben
This was part of a problem found in my book. Not really homework problem so I'll post it here.

Electric field on a certain region is

(E is a vector of x,y, and z components)
(t is a independent variable in meters)
E=10tx+0y+0z in m.k.s. units.

what kind of unit is this?

I do realize unit of E is N/C or also in kg*C*m^2/s^2
but I still can't related

so what is m.k.s. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
mks is metre-kilogram-second - as opposed to cgs (cm-gram-second)

The difference is a bit more complicated in electro-magnetism because of the need to keep some of the other units the same - basically for this question you don't need to worry, for the gory details see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cgs#Electromagnetic_units

1. What are m.k.s. units?

M.k.s. units refer to the metric system of units, specifically the meter, kilogram, and second units. These units are used to measure physical quantities such as length, mass, and time.

2. How is electric field measured in m.k.s. units?

Electric field is measured in m.k.s. units by using the unit of volts per meter (V/m). This unit represents the strength of the electric field at a certain point.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and distance in m.k.s. units?

The relationship between electric field and distance in m.k.s. units is determined by the inverse square law. This means that as the distance from the source of the electric field increases, the strength of the field decreases by the square of the distance.

4. How are m.k.s. units used in calculations involving electric field?

M.k.s. units are used in calculations involving electric field by converting all quantities to their respective m.k.s. units and using the appropriate formulas. For example, to calculate the electric field strength, the charge and distance are converted to their m.k.s. units and then plugged into the formula E = kQ/r^2.

5. Can m.k.s. units be used interchangeably with other units for electric field?

Yes, m.k.s. units can be used interchangeably with other units for electric field, as long as the conversion factors are taken into account. For example, if using the cgs unit of electric field (statvolt per centimeter), the conversion factor to m.k.s. units is 1 statvolt/cm = 3.3356 V/m.