What is the Relationship Between Mach Number and Velocity in Compressible Flow?

In summary, the question asks for the speed of an object flying at M=0.5 with a free stream temperature of 180 K, when the temperature drops to 100 K. The first object has a speed of 134.465 m/s. However, when using the given equations to calculate the speed for the second temperature, the answer is 100.224 m/s, which is slightly different from the answer provided. This could be due to a typo in the question or a different interpretation of the temperature change.
LaReina

Homework Statement

An object is flying through the air at M=0.5. The free stream temperature is equal to 180 K. At what speed should the object fly when the temperature is 100 K in order to maintain the same Mach number? (therefore ensuring compressibility effects are the same). What was the speed of the first object.

Homework Equations

[itex]M=\frac{V}{a}[/itex]

[itex]a=\sqrt{γRT}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out the speed for the first object which is as follows
[itex]a=\sqrt{1.4\times287\times180}=268.931m/s[/itex]
[itex]V=0.5\times268.931=134.465m/s[/itex]

However when I work out the speed for the second temperature using the exact procedure, I get 100.225 as an answer. The answer that has been given is 88.52m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
LaReina said:

Homework Statement

An object is flying through the air at M=0.5. The free stream temperature is equal to 180 K. At what speed should the object fly when the temperature is 100 K in order to maintain the same Mach number? (therefore ensuring compressibility effects are the same). What was the speed of the first object.

Homework Equations

[itex]M=\frac{V}{a}[/itex]

[itex]a=\sqrt{γRT}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out the speed for the first object which is as follows
[itex]a=\sqrt{1.4\times287\times180}=268.931m/s[/itex]
[itex]V=0.5\times268.931=134.465m/s[/itex]

However when I work out the speed for the second temperature using the exact procedure, I get 100.225 as an answer. The answer that has been given is 88.52m/s.
Please show us your work for the second temperature.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Please show us your work for the second temperature.

Chet

[itex] a=\sqrt{1.4\times287\times100}=200.448[/itex]
[itex]V=200.448\times0.5=100.224[/itex]

This calculation looks OK to me.

Chet

Likes 1 person
May be the question has a typo and it meant to ask what happens if the temperature drops 100K (which means it drops to 80K). That brings the answer closer to the answer provided.

Likes 1 person

Related to What is the Relationship Between Mach Number and Velocity in Compressible Flow?

1. What is the difference between Mach number and velocity?

Mach number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of an object's speed to the speed of sound in the surrounding medium. Velocity, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that measures the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time.

2. How is Mach number calculated?

Mach number is calculated by dividing the speed of an object by the speed of sound in the surrounding medium. It can also be calculated using the equation Mach number = velocity/speed of sound.

3. What is the significance of Mach number in aerodynamics?

Mach number is an important factor in aerodynamics because it determines the compressibility of air around an object. As Mach number increases, air becomes more compressible and can lead to effects such as shock waves and sonic booms.

4. Can an object have a Mach number greater than 1?

Yes, an object can have a Mach number greater than 1. This is known as supersonic speed and occurs when the object is traveling faster than the speed of sound in the surrounding medium.

5. How does altitude affect Mach number?

As altitude increases, the speed of sound in the surrounding medium decreases. As a result, an object traveling at the same speed will have a higher Mach number at higher altitudes. This is why aircraft can reach supersonic speeds at higher altitudes, where the air is less dense and the speed of sound is lower.