Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Machine learning and NMR

1. Jun 28, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone. By reading stuff on the Internet, I found many times the correlation between machine learning and NMR, or, better, algorithms that are implemented for that kind of technology( The same goes for PET, or CT scans.
    The thing I want to ask is, how much do you think that the two things are related? You think that machine learning is used a lot in that kind of research, or is it still a thing that it's somehow neglected in that field? I'm talking esclusively of medicine and medical imaging, not in general.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2015 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You might want to search for "computer assisted diagnosis" to get an idea of the state of the field. In general, this is a big area of research in medical imaging. Even basic tasks like atlas-based anatomical segmentation and delineation are just over the past few years coming out in commercial products, and even then there's a lot of debate over how reliable such systems are. So there is definitely a lot of room for improvement, if these are areas you're interested in.

4. Jun 28, 2015 #3
    Actually I ve read of it...but I just didn't know how much that sector was developed..Now it seems more clear, thanks :)
    You know if their positions for those jobs are for people with master s degree or only for PhD people? I mean, developing medical imaging stuff for that kind of machiner..Like MRI and so on...

5. Jun 28, 2015 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think most of the people actively doing research in such areas are at the PhD level.

6. Jun 28, 2015 #5
    Understood:) thanks: P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook