Using Maclaurin Polynomials to Evaluate Trigonometric Functions at f(0.1)

In summary, the speaker is having difficulty with a homework problem that requires them to replace each trigonometric function with its third Maclaurin polynomial and evaluate the function at f(0.1). They have provided their steps, but are seeking help as their answer is not matching the expected value. The expert advises them to only use the first two terms in each trigonometric function for the third degree Maclaurin polynomial.
francisg3
I am having some difficulty with a homework problem I was recently assigned. The problem says to "Replace each trigonometric function with its third Maclaurin polynomial and then evaluate the function at f(0.1)"

This is what I have done so far:

f(x)=(x cosx- sinx)/(x-sin⁡x)
1st trig function f(x)=x cos⁡x
f'(x) =cos⁡x-x sin⁡x
f''(x) =-sin⁡〖x-sin⁡x-x cos⁡x 〗
f'''(x) =-cos⁡〖x-cos⁡x-cos⁡x 〗+x sin⁡x f'''(0) =-3

3rd Maclaurin Polynomial-3/3! x^3

2nd trig functionf(x)=-sinx
f'(x)=-cosx
f''(x) =sinx
f'''(x) =cosx = f'''(0) =1

3rd Maclaurin Polynomial(1/3!) x3

Replacing those values in the original function I get:
(-3/3! x^3+1/3! x^3)/(1+1/3! x^3 )

I should get an answer around -2 I believe however this is not the case. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
francisg3 said:
I am having some difficulty with a homework problem I was recently assigned. The problem says to "Replace each trigonometric function with its third Maclaurin polynomial and then evaluate the function at f(0.1)"

This is what I have done so far:

f(x)=(x cosx- sinx)/(x-sin⁡x)
1st trig function f(x)=x cos⁡x
f'(x) =cos⁡x-x sin⁡x
f''(x) =-sin⁡〖x-sin⁡x-x cos⁡x 〗
f'''(x) =-cos⁡〖x-cos⁡x-cos⁡x 〗+x sin⁡x f'''(0) =-3

3rd Maclaurin Polynomial-3/3! x^3

2nd trig functionf(x)=-sinx
f'(x)=-cosx
f''(x) =sinx
f'''(x) =cosx = f'''(0) =1

3rd Maclaurin Polynomial(1/3!) x3

Replacing those values in the original function I get:
(-3/3! x^3+1/3! x^3)/(1+1/3! x^3 )

I should get an answer around -2 I believe however this is not the case. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi Francis.

I put in bold an important instruction in the above quote.

[tex]\cos(x)=1-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^4}{4!}-\dots[/tex]

[tex]\sin(x)=x-\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^5}{5!}-\dots[/tex]

[tex]f(x)= \frac{x \cos(x)- \sin(x)}{x-\sin(x)}[/tex]

You probably meant third degree MacLaurin polynomial, in which case, use only the first two terms in each of the above.

it works, thank you very much.

1. What is a Maclaurin polynomial?

A Maclaurin polynomial is a special type of polynomial that approximates a function at a specific point. It is named after Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin and is a type of Taylor polynomial centered at x = 0.

2. How is a Maclaurin polynomial calculated?

A Maclaurin polynomial is calculated using the formula P(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + (f''(0)x^2)/2! + (f'''(0)x^3)/3! + ... + (f^(n)(0)x^n)/n!, where f^(n)(0) represents the nth derivative of the function evaluated at x = 0.

3. What is the significance of the Maclaurin polynomial?

The Maclaurin polynomial helps to approximate a function at a particular point and can be used to find the value of a function at any point near that point. It is also used in calculus to estimate the behavior of a function and to find derivatives and integrals.

4. How accurate is the Maclaurin polynomial?

The accuracy of the Maclaurin polynomial increases as the degree of the polynomial increases. The more terms included in the polynomial, the closer it gets to the actual function. However, the accuracy is still limited as the polynomial is only an approximation of the function.

5. What is the difference between a Maclaurin polynomial and a Taylor polynomial?

A Maclaurin polynomial is a type of Taylor polynomial where the center of the polynomial is at x = 0. In general, a Taylor polynomial can be centered at any point, while a Maclaurin polynomial is centered at x = 0. Additionally, a Maclaurin polynomial is a special case of a Taylor polynomial where all the derivatives of the function at x = 0 are used in the formula.