Maclaurin's Series: Expanding tan(ex) up to x2

• Thread starter Michael_Light
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is about finding all the terms up to and including x2 in the power series for tan(ex). The speaker wonders if they can expand it using another method and why they get a different answer when using Maclaurin's series. The other speaker suggests being careful to account for all terms that can contribute to the coefficient of x2 and recommends just applying Maclaurin's directly.
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

Find all the terms up to and including x2 in the power series for tan(ex).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wonder can i expand it as follow... why will i get different answer when I use Maclaurin's Series to expand it?

Mathematics 12.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael_Light said:

Homework Statement

Find all the terms up to and including x2 in the power series for tan(ex).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wonder can i expand it as follow... why will i get different answer when I use Maclaurin's Series to expand it?

View attachment 43613

Well, what's the next term (the one with e5x)? Does it contribute a term with x2? How about the one after that? ...etc.

If you're asked to find a series sum up to and including the x2 term, you have to be certain that you've accounted for ALL the terms that can contribute to the coefficient of x2 in the final series.

You're better off just applying Maclaurin's directly to the function tan(ex).

1. What is Maclaurin's Series?

Maclaurin's Series is a mathematical concept that allows us to approximate complex functions using a simpler form. It is named after Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin.

2. What is the formula for expanding tan(ex) up to x2 using Maclaurin's Series?

The formula for expanding tan(ex) up to x2 using Maclaurin's Series is: tan(x) = x + (x^3)/3 + (2x^5)/15 + (17x^7)/315 + ...

3. How is Maclaurin's Series useful in mathematics?

Maclaurin's Series is useful in mathematics because it allows us to approximate complex functions with a simpler form, making calculations and analysis easier. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions near a certain point.

4. What are the limitations of using Maclaurin's Series?

One limitation of Maclaurin's Series is that it is only accurate for a certain range of values. It becomes increasingly inaccurate as the value of x increases. Additionally, it can only approximate certain types of functions and may not provide an exact solution.

5. How is Maclaurin's Series related to Taylor Series?

Maclaurin's Series is a special case of Taylor Series, which is a more general form of approximating functions. Maclaurin's Series specifically expands a function around x=0, while Taylor Series can expand around any point. Both series use derivatives to calculate the coefficients of the expanded function.