Creating Vertical Lift with Industrial Magnets: A Possibility?

In summary: After hitting the wall then the stronger magnet will move closer than ever and the weak magnet won't get any space to move as a result won't the force be able to move the whole craft.In summary, this idea is useless - and is likely the result of someone's misunderstanding of how forces work.
sameev29
I have been thinking about this for some time and I came up with this.Very very strong industrial magnets will be used for lift and thrust.Every part of the craft will be attached together.

No. 1 and 2 magnets will be used for vertical lift.No. 1 magnet is set at its position and can't move.It will also be weaker than no. 2 magnet.No. magnet is moveable up and down by hydraulics(no. 5).When no. 2 will be brought very close to no. 1 magnet,it won't get any space
to move so it should lift itself and everything on it into the air.

Same thing goes with no.3 and no.4 magnets.No. 3 is set and No. 4 will create repulsion for moving forward.

There are some industrial magnets which weights like 20 to 25 kg but can lift like 400-500kg.Maybe some of these could be used.A power source will also be needed for the hydraulics.

Overall I don't know if this will work or not.But when I think I see some possibility.Please verify this.

Attachments

• Magnet craft.bmp
    291.7 KB · Views: 670
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything is right. But will you take the magnet as long as the flight goes? :confused:The magnet at the base gives the lift only to float above it and the side ways magnet gives u the initial propulsion. But which gives you the propulsion till the end. If you are going to convert it and use it in a closed environment and for small distances then it will be similar to levitation. So think of something!

Right, if the magnets go with you (they're all attached to the craft) then you might as well throw it out now because it won't work.

If the magnets are attached to a track for the vehicle to move on, then congratulations you've re-invented the maglev.

Either way, this idea is done.

Sorry to be blunt but I have a horrible feeling it's the first of the two options.

But magnet no. 2 and 3 are moveable.Won't moving them closer to magnet no.1 and 3 give the craft lift and propulsion.

Nope. This still holds:
jarednjames said:
Right, if the magnets go with you (they're all attached to the craft) then you might as well throw it out now because it won't work.

Originally Posted by jarednjames View Post

What's the problem with the magnets being attached to the craft?

sameev29 said:
What's the problem with the magnets being attached to the craft?

If I grab my legs and lift, can I fly?

jarednjames said:

That has to be the greatest and most succinct (and borderline curt) answer to this sort of question I have ever seen... Bravo! Haha

jarednjames said:

:applause:

sameev29 said:
But magnet no. 2 and 3 are moveable.Won't moving them closer to magnet no.1 and 3 give the craft lift and propulsion.
what creates the force to move the magnets?

russ_watters said:
what creates the force to move the magnets?

I believe the specification called for "hydraulics".

Aside from making a rather clumsy space hopper, it's a dead stick from the word go.

Magnet no. 3 and 4 are lockable at a certain position so that they can create continuous repulsion.

sameev29 said:
Magnet no. 3 and 4 are lockable at a certain position so that they can create continuous repulsion.

That is like having your car's front wheels driving forward and the back wheels driving backwards. You won't be going anywhere.

What if the moveable magnets are lot stronger than the non moveable magnets.So that the stronger magnet won't move from it's position.

I don't see how that changes anything. Then you will just move one magnet around inside the craft until it hits the other wall at which point nothing will happen.

boneh3ad said:
I don't see how that changes anything. Then you will just move one magnet around inside the craft until it hits the other wall at which point nothing will happen.

After hitting the wall then the stronger magnet will move closer than ever and the weak magnet won't get any space to move as a result won't the force be able to move the whole craft.

You don't understand how forces work.

If you have two magnets, attached to the craft attracting each other, one will pull the craft upwards and the other will pull downwards equally. The net result is no movement at all.

The first mistake you're making is thinking that you're the first one to come up with this idea - ignoring every other scientist / crackpot on the planet.
You then continue to ignore the fact that there is not one vehicle on the planet powered in this way - because it doesn't work.

Again, I ask you to grab your legs and pull upwards - can you fly? Jokes aside, this is exactly what you're proposing here.

Last edited:
jarednjames said:
The first mistake you're making is thinking that you're the first one to come up with this idea - ignoring every other [STRIKE]scientist[/STRIKE] / crackpot on the planet.

There, FTFY

boneh3ad said:
There, FTFY

Well no, scientists think of it - but they are clever enough to realize it won't work and give up.

Scientists say it won't work, crackpots say it will. Funny enough, there's not one vehicle using this technology out there...

Think of it like this. If you stand in a bucket, and then pull up on the handle, will you and the bucket lift up? The answer is no. Because when you pull up on the bucket, the bucket is also pulling down on you.

In the case with your magnets, as the no.2 magnet pushes up on the no.1 magnet, well the no.1 magnet will also be pushing down on the no. 2 magnet. These two forces will cancel out, so the total system goes nowhere.

In general, this kind of stuff follows a law known as conservation of momentum. Momentum is always conserved.

So in order to create thrust and move yourself forward and lift yourself off the ground, you need to impart momentum on something opposite of the direction in which you want to go.

As an example, helicopters use their large rotors to push the air downwards, so that they can stay up. Likewise, jet airplanes push the air through their engines and backwards so that they can move forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will ask you one question. In a swimming pool you kick the walls of the pool and you move forward. Thats wat u do here. Will the force from it be with u till u reach the other end. In a aircraft u need a constant propulsion. the same way for lift. You think the same in different manner and u will get the flaw in it. just leave this and try other.

Raama said:
I will ask you one question. In a swimming pool you kick the walls of the pool and you move forward. Thats wat u do here. Will the force from it be with u till u reach the other end. In a aircraft u need a constant propulsion. the same way for lift. You think the same in different manner and u will get the flaw in it. just leave this and try other.

Please observe rules regarding text language.

Not entirely sure what you're trying to say, I think I have the gist of it.

To summarise, in a pool when you kick off the wall you move forward. But, if you hold the wall when you kick off you won't go anywhere. This isn't quite what the OP is doing.

not that one. I am telling you need the propulsion and lift till the end of your journey.

Raama said:
Everything is right. But will you take the magnet as long as the flight goes? :confused:The magnet at the base gives the lift only to float above it and the side ways magnet gives u the initial propulsion. But which gives you the propulsion till the end. If you are going to convert it and use it in a closed environment and for small distances then it will be similar to levitation. So think of something!

Sorry, only just noticed your post here.

I realize there is a language barrier, but can I confirm you understand the idea won't work - in any way?

phew... At last. Everyone is replying it won't work. But he (questioner) is not understanding it won't work

jarednjames said:
You don't understand how forces work.

If you have two magnets, attached to the craft attracting each other, one will pull the craft upwards and the other will pull downwards equally. The net result is no movement at all.

The first mistake you're making is thinking that you're the first one to come up with this idea - ignoring every other scientist / crackpot on the planet.
You then continue to ignore the fact that there is not one vehicle on the planet powered in this way - because it doesn't work.

Again, I ask you to grab your legs and pull upwards - can you fly? Jokes aside, this is exactly what you're proposing here.

Strange I never said anything about attraction,look at the picture carefully everything is about the force of repulsion.

sameev29 said:
Strange I never said anything about attraction,look at the picture carefully everything is about the force of repulsion.

Attraction or repulsion, it makes no difference.

sameev29, again please tell me if you can fly by grabbing your knees and pulling up?

jarednjames said:
Attraction or repulsion, it makes no difference.

sameev29, again please tell me if you can fly by grabbing your knees and pulling up?

Why not if there is enough lifting force below my legs.

sameev29 said:
Why not if there is enough lifting force below my legs.

Really? Give it a go. Does it not tell you something when there are no devices like this currently out there? Why there isn't one vehicle that works like this?

In your design, one magnet pushes down into the floor and the other pushes back upwards equally. If they weren't joined, the craft would lift (similar to how a maglev works) but becuase they are attached the forces cancel out. The net force is zero and the craft doesn't go anywhere.

This is a basic concept of mechanics given by Newtons third law. You need to learn this.

For movement you have to expel a mass away from you but once expelled you cannot catch it again otherwise anything you gained from expelling it is canceled out.

That's enough. This is silly.

1. How do industrial magnets create vertical lift?

Industrial magnets create vertical lift by utilizing the principles of magnetic attraction and repulsion. When an electric current is passed through the magnet, it creates a magnetic field which interacts with other magnetic objects, causing them to either attract or repel each other. By manipulating these forces, industrial magnets can be used to lift objects vertically.

2. What types of objects can be lifted with industrial magnets?

Industrial magnets can lift a wide range of objects, from small metal components to large machinery. The weight and size of the object will determine the strength and size of the magnet needed for vertical lift. However, it is important to note that only objects made of magnetic materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, can be lifted with industrial magnets.

3. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using industrial magnets for vertical lift?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when using industrial magnets for vertical lift. It is important to properly secure the magnet to prevent it from slipping or falling, and to always handle it with caution as it can be strong enough to cause injury. Additionally, it is important to keep the magnet away from electronic devices, credit cards, and other sensitive equipment as the magnetic field can interfere with their functioning.

4. What are the advantages of using industrial magnets for vertical lift?

There are several advantages to using industrial magnets for vertical lift. They are cost-effective, as they require minimal maintenance and have a long lifespan. They also have a high lifting capacity and can lift objects of various shapes and sizes. Additionally, they are easy to operate and can be controlled remotely, making them ideal for use in hazardous or hard-to-reach areas.

5. Can industrial magnets be used in different industries for vertical lift?

Yes, industrial magnets can be used in a variety of industries for vertical lift. They are commonly used in manufacturing, construction, mining, and transportation industries, among others. They can also be used for material handling, sorting, and separation processes. With the advancements in magnet technology, industrial magnets are becoming increasingly versatile and can be customized for specific industrial applications.