Does Ampere's Law Hold for Magnetic Circuits with Non-Symmetric Geometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a simple magnetic circuit using a ferrous torus wrapped with a conductor. Ampere's law is then applied, resulting in the equation H = NI/L. However, when the torus is changed to a square shape with bunched turns, two assumptions are made - constant flux and no leakage field. This leads to a violation of Ampere's law when applied to other paths. The conversation also mentions that the real field is B = μ0μrH or μ0H, and provides a resource for further discussion on transformers.
TFH
Background: In the textbooks I’ve read the simple magnetic circuit is developed by first looking at a ferrous torus symmetrically wrapped with a condutor. Symmetry arguments indicate that the H field is radial through the torus and 0 on the inside and outside of the torus. Then from Ampere's law H is obtained.

H = NI/L, N = number of turns, I = current, L = length around the torus (Pi R).

I'm okay with this but next the shape of the torus changes to a square and the turns are bunched together on 1 leg of the square, say l1. And two assumptions are discussed: (1) flux is constand around the square core and (2) no leakage field. With these assumptions Ampere's law is used again to obtains the same equation for H except the Lenght "L" changes to match the square core.

With a square core: L = l1 + l2 + l3 + l4. (l's are lengths of the square edges)

My Problem: If I use Ampere's law for other paths I get "VERY" different answers.

I can say integrate through l1 (that contains all the conductors) and would obtain: H = NI/l1. Or I could integrate say the half of the square that does not have a conductor and obtain:
H = NI/(l2 +l3+l4), but here I is zero. So H=0 under the assumptions.

So does the assumptions of no leakage field and constant flux for this geometry immediately cause a violation of Ampere's law?

Thanks for any comments.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is a magnetic circuit?

A magnetic circuit is a closed path or loop of magnetic material through which a magnetic flux can flow. It is similar to an electrical circuit, but instead of electrical current, it deals with the flow of magnetic flux.

What is the significance of H = NI/L in magnetic circuits?

H = NI/L is known as the magnetic field intensity and is a key parameter in magnetic circuits. It represents the amount of magnetic field produced per unit length of the magnetic path. It is directly proportional to the number of turns in the coil (N) and the current flowing through it (I), and inversely proportional to the length of the magnetic path (L).

How is H = NI/L related to the magnetic flux?

H = NI/L is related to the magnetic flux (Φ) through the equation Φ = B·A = μH·A, where B is the magnetic flux density, A is the cross-sectional area of the magnetic path, and μ is the permeability of the material. This equation shows that the magnetic flux is directly proportional to the magnetic field intensity.

What factors affect the magnetic field intensity in a magnetic circuit?

The magnetic field intensity in a magnetic circuit is affected by the number of turns in the coil (N), the current flowing through it (I), the permeability of the material (μ), and the length of the magnetic path (L). These factors determine the strength and distribution of the magnetic field within the circuit.

How is the concept of H = NI/L used in practical applications?

The equation H = NI/L is used in various practical applications, such as designing electromagnets, motors, generators, and transformers. It helps engineers and scientists calculate the strength of the magnetic field and determine the required parameters for efficient operation of these devices.