Magnetic Dipole Moment and Angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the magnetic dipole moment of an electron orbiting a proton nucleus in a hydrogen atom is related to the orbital angular momentum. The participants suggest using the equation M=NIA and solving for the current generated by the electron, as well as considering the electron's charge and frequency of orbit. They also mention using the equation M=I cross A and removing the angular momentum to get the desired result. Additionally, there is a question about the role of m in the equation and a request for help with proving an equation involving electric dipole moment.
mer584

Homework Statement

Show that the magnetic dipole moment M of an electron orbiting a proton nucleus of a hydrogen atom is related to the orbital angular momentum M=(e/2m)L

Homework Equations

M=NIA, Torque =MB, F=qvB=v^2/r, L=Iw=mrv=rp (where p=mv)

N=1 in this case I assume?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried every combination of everything I can think of. I started with solving for L as L=2mM/q (where q=e). Then I tried substituting everything I could think of in for L and nothing made sense. I also tried starting with M=Torque/B and substituting I*(angular acceleration) for torque but you just end up with vqr. I think I'm approaching this wrong, can anyone help.

Physics news on Phys.org
L=Iw

M=NIA

It is not the same I

How is electric current (I in M=NIA) defined?
yes N = 1.

A magnetic dipole is generated by a small current loop (the electron). Try working out the current that the electron generates then crossing that with the area of your little current loop.

Remember:
Current amount of charge per unit time

As you only have one electron, you just have to work out how many times it orbits the nucleus in one second, and multiply it by the electrons charge to get the current.

The dipole is then equal to M = I cross A (I couldn't find the cross symbol) and you can then remove the angular momentum to get the required result.

(This is a little bit of a fudge, but it seems to work)

What about m? Wouldn't that just give you M=ve/(2*pi*r) * (pi*r2)

Help me to sort out this problem:: Prove that, "integration over[J(r)dr]=del(p)/del(t)" ... where p is the electric dipole moment ... please as soon as possible, reply me ...

1. What is a magnetic dipole moment?

A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic dipole, which is a small magnet with a north and south pole. It is a vector quantity and is typically represented by the symbol μ. In other words, it is a measure of how much a magnet is influenced by an external magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic dipole moment calculated?

The magnetic dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area of the loop or coil and the number of turns in the coil. This can be expressed mathematically as μ = I*A*N, where I is the current, A is the area, and N is the number of turns.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic dipole moment and angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotation of an object around an axis. The magnetic dipole moment is related to angular momentum through the gyromagnetic ratio, which is a constant that relates the magnetic dipole moment to the angular momentum of a particle or system. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of particles in a magnetic field.

4. How does magnetic dipole moment affect the behavior of particles?

In the presence of a magnetic field, charged particles with a magnetic dipole moment will experience a torque, causing them to align with the magnetic field. This is known as the magnetic dipole moment's tendency to align with the magnetic field. The strength of the torque is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic dipole moment and angular momentum?

Magnetic dipole moment and angular momentum are important concepts in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used in the design of motors, generators, and other electrical devices. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and in the development of quantum computing technology.