Finding Magnetic Fields on the x-axis for Two Dipoles on the z-axis

In summary, the conversation is about finding the fields produced by two magnetic dipoles on the z-axis separated by a distance L at a point on the x-axis. The person has drawn a diagram and calculated the vector potential for the y and z components, but not for the x component. They are unsure if they have done it correctly and are seeking advice on the expressions for the vector potential. Another person suggests using the formula for a magnetic dipole and taking superposition to find the field, stating that there is no difference between electric and magnetic dipoles in terms of fields.
mateomy
I'm given two magnetic dipoles on the z-axis with a separation of a distance L. I need to find the fields produced by the individual dipoles at a point on the x-axis in terms of x.

This problem is driving me nuts. I've drawn a diagram with the radial vector going from the z-point to the x-axis at a given point, P. The angle between the radial vector and the z-axis has been labelled as [itex]\theta[/itex]. What I've done so far is calculate the vector potential ([itex]\overrightarrow{A}[/itex]) and I think I'm confusing myself because I've produced two expressions; one for [itex]\hat{y}[/itex] and another for [itex]\hat{z}[/itex], but absolutely nothing for the x-component. My expression so far is:

For [itex]\hat{y}[/itex]:
[tex]
\frac{x}{r^3}
[/tex]

For [itex]\hat{z}[/itex]:
[tex]
\frac{1}{r^3}
[/tex]

*I've left out some constants

I'm not sure I've done that correctly, regardless I went to take the curl of these vector potential expressions [itex]\nabla\times\overrightarrow{A}[/itex], which only gave me expressions in the y and z directions. That doesn't seem right to me, but I wanted to take it to Physics Forums to get some advice. I'll show more detail if its found necessary, I'm mostly curious to see if the expressions for the vector potential make sense.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would not use the vector potential here. Just take the formula of a magnetic dipole, shift it by -L/2 and do the same for just another one at +L/2 to find the field by superposition.
Really, there is no difference to electric dipoles from the perspective of the fields.

1. What is a magnetic dipole on the z-axis?

A magnetic dipole on the z-axis refers to a magnetic field that is oriented along the z-axis, which is the vertical axis in a Cartesian coordinate system. This means that the magnetic field lines are perpendicular to the x-y plane.

2. How is a magnetic dipole on the z-axis created?

A magnetic dipole on the z-axis can be created by placing a magnet with a north and south pole along the z-axis. The magnetic field lines are then generated from the north pole to the south pole, perpendicular to the z-axis.

3. What are the properties of a magnetic dipole on the z-axis?

A magnetic dipole on the z-axis has a magnetic moment, which is a measure of the strength of the dipole. It also has a magnetic field strength, which is the strength of the magnetic field at a particular point in space. Additionally, a magnetic dipole on the z-axis can interact with other magnetic fields and experience a force.

4. How does a magnetic dipole on the z-axis behave in a magnetic field?

In a uniform magnetic field, a magnetic dipole on the z-axis will experience a torque, causing it to align with the magnetic field. The torque is strongest when the dipole is perpendicular to the magnetic field and weakest when it is parallel to the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic dipoles on the z-axis?

Magnetic dipoles on the z-axis have various applications, including in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Additionally, they play a crucial role in the Earth's magnetic field and navigation systems.