1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field / Force problem

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a particle with a charge of -1.24 x 10^-8 c is moving with instantaneous velocity v= 4.19 x 10^4 i + -3.85 x 10^4 j (both in m/s). what is the force exerted on this particle by a magnetic field a) 1.4 T i and b) 1.4 T k ?

2. Relevant equations

F = qv x B (cross product not multiplication)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using a determinate for part a where you put i j k and the velocity vector multiplied by q and then the magnetic field vector underneath that but i got -6.68 x 10^-4 i, however the books answers says that it is in the -k direction.

I don't understand the way my physics teacher does the cross multiplication that's why i tried using a determinate like in calculus....please help?!?!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show your work ?

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3
    sure, this is what i was trying to do: for part a)

i , j , k
    q(4.19x10^4) , q(-3.85x10^4) , 0
    1.4 , 0 , 0

(i added commas in-between to not confuse)

i did the cross product using this determinate thinking it would give me the right answer and i got the right number just the wrong direction....

q(-3.85x10^4)(1.4) in the i direction, the book says -k direction....

5. Mar 4, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the code icon, https://www.physicsforums.com/Nexus/editor/code.png [Broken] , to display items with lots of spaces, like your determinant ... or simply use [CODE ] [/CODE ] tags.

Code (Text):

i          ,                j            ,        k

q(4.19x10^4)  ,  q(-3.85x10^4)  ,    0

1.4           ,            0              ,     0
    You are calculating your determinant incorrectly.

Show
    what you multiply i by,
    what you multiply j by,
    what you multiply k by;​
    including zeros, & prior to simplifying anything.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Mar 5, 2012 #5
    I just figured out what i did wrong....i crossed out the columns and rows backwards....i didnt realize until you told me to write everything out lol thanks ....stupid mistake on my part

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook