Magnetic Field from Sheets of Current

In summary, the problem involves two infinite sheets of current flowing parallel to the y-z plane. The left-hand sheet has a current per wire of 0.19 A in the +z direction and the right-hand sheet has a current per wire of 0.19 A in the -z direction. The goal is to calculate the net magnetic field at x = 5 cm. Using Ampere's Law for each sheet, the equation B = \muo(.19)/(2*pi*.05) was initially used, but it resulted in an incorrect solution. The suggestion is to look for symmetry in the problem for a better approach.
typeinnocent

Homework Statement

Two infinite sheets of current flow parallel to the y-z plane. The left-hand sheet, which intersects the x-axis at x = 0, consists of an infinite array of wires parallel to the z-axis with a density n = 990 wires/m and a current per wire of IL = 0.19 A in the +z direction. The right-hand sheet, which intersects the x-axis at x = a = 10 cm, is identical to the left-hand sheet, except that it has a current per wire of IR = 0.19 A in the -z direction.
https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/phys2112/summer/homework/Ch-26-B-Force-and-Fields/B-field-from-sheets/0805.gif
Calculate the y-components of the net magnetic field at x = 5 cm

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law: [tex]\mu[/tex]o*I/(2*pi*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would only have to use Ampere's Law for each sheet, so my equation looked like this:
B = [tex]\mu[/tex]o(.19)/(2*pi*.05)
I multiplied this answer by two, since they have the same current and are the same distance away, but the solution was incorrect.

Any suggestions?
My only guess is that I'm treating it like a line rather than a sheet, but even if you take dB, it turns out to be the same equation.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
B = 0
Look for symetry. I'll explain more later. Must sleep.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. In order to calculate the y-component of the net magnetic field at x = 5 cm, you will need to take into account the contributions from both sheets of current. Since the sheets are parallel to each other, the magnetic fields they produce will add together in the y-direction.

To calculate the magnetic field from each sheet, you can use the equation you mentioned, Ampere's Law, but you will need to integrate over the entire sheet rather than just one wire. This will give you the total magnetic field at any given point in the y-z plane.

Once you have the magnetic field from each sheet, you can add them together to find the net magnetic field at x = 5 cm. Remember to take into account the direction of the magnetic field from each sheet, as one is in the +z direction and the other is in the -z direction.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

Best,

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or a current-carrying wire. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and can exert a force on other charged particles.

How is a magnetic field produced by sheets of current?

A magnetic field is produced by sheets of current when electric charges flow through the sheets. As the charges move, they create a circular magnetic field around the sheet, with the direction of the field determined by the direction of the current.

What is the direction of the magnetic field around sheets of current?

The direction of the magnetic field around sheets of current is determined by the right-hand rule. When you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

How does the strength of the magnetic field vary with distance from the sheet of current?

The strength of the magnetic field around a sheet of current decreases as you move further away from the sheet. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out as they move away from the sheet, resulting in a weaker field at greater distances.

How is the magnetic field affected by the width and thickness of the sheet of current?

The magnetic field strength around a sheet of current is directly proportional to the current and the width of the sheet. It is inversely proportional to the distance from the sheet and the thickness of the sheet. This means that a wider and thicker sheet with a higher current will produce a stronger magnetic field.