Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field intensity and density

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    Hello folks,

Can anyone explain to me what is the difference between magnetic field intensity H and magnetic field density B?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

Henryk

Gold Member

Hi
    In the simplest terms, the magnetic field intensity H relates to the sources of the magnetic field. For example, the integrated H in a magnetic loop is related to the total current enclosed by the loop (time-independent) by the relation
    $$ \oint \vec H \cdot d \vec l = I $$
    This equation is true regardless of the magnetic permeability of the loop.
    whereas intensity B describes effects of the magnetic field. Examples are Lorentz force on a charge moving in the magnetic field ##\vec F = q (\vec B \times \vec v) ##
    and induced EMF in, say, a single winding of a transformer ## EMF = - \frac d {dt} \iint \vec B \cdot d \vec S ##

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3
    That means B is property of material since it depends on the magnetic permeability of the loop.

5. Oct 27, 2015 #4

Henryk

Gold Member

Well, strictly speaking, the property of the material is the magnetization vector, usually denoted as M. B is the total effect of the source field H and material response in terms of polarization M, such as ## B = \mu _0(H +M)##

6. Oct 29, 2015 #5
    Thanks!! Can you provide me a link where it has been discussed in detail?

7. Oct 29, 2015 #6

Henryk

Gold Member

I'm a physicist, I just know it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook