Magnetic field of a moving charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field produced by a negative charge with specific velocity at a given point. The homework equations and attempted solution are also mentioned. The expert suggests using the vector equation for the cross product to solve the problem.
squeak

Homework Statement

A negative charge q = −3.20×10-6C is located at the origin and has velocity υ⃗ =(7.50×104m/s)ι^+((−4.90)×104m/s)j^.
At this instant what is the magnetic field produced by this charge at the point x = 0.230 m , y = -0.300 m , z= 0? Give the x, y and x components

Homework Equations

B = u0/4π. (qv x r)/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

So to find Bx I've tried using r = 0.230 and v = 7.5x104 giving 10-7 x 3.2 x 10-6 x 7.5 x 104/0.2302. However i have a feeling I can't just take the x/y components individually. I know that a cross product goes to 1 if the components are perpendicular and 0 if they are parallel and feel like this will help but i just can't put it all together to give me the correct answer. any hints would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct - you cannot just take the components individually like that. You have a vector equation, why not use it?
Do you know how to evaluate a cross product between two arbitrary vectors?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and can be visualized as invisible lines of force.

2. How does a moving charge create a magnetic field?

When a charged particle, such as an electron, moves, it creates a circular magnetic field around the direction of its motion. This is due to the fact that moving charges have both electric and magnetic properties.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the moving charge?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the velocity of the moving charge. This means that as the velocity increases, so does the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by changing the direction of the moving charge. For example, if the charge moves in a different direction, the magnetic field will also change direction.

5. How can the magnetic field of a moving charge be measured?

The magnetic field of a moving charge can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device detects the strength and direction of a magnetic field and can be used to measure the magnetic field of a moving charge.