Calculating Magnetic Field of Two Coils on a Common Axis

In summary, using the 1/z3 approximation for the magnetic field, the percent error is _% when using the approximate formula and _% when using the exact formula.
cranen

Homework Statement

Two thin coils of radius R = 3 cm are d = 13 cm apart and concentric with a common axis. Both coils contain 10 turns of wire with a conventional current of I = 3 amperes that runs counter-clockwise as viewed from the right side (see the figure).

18-089-HW_two_coils_sym.jpg

(a) What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field on the axis, halfway between the two loops, without making the approximation z >> r? (For comparison, remember that the horizontal component of magnetic field in the United States is about 2 ✕ 10-5 tesla).
|B| = _ T
direction: c

(b) In this situation, the observation location is not very far from either coil. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at the same location, using the 1/z3 approximation.
|Bapprox| = _ T

The percent error of an approximate result can be found by
symimage.cgi?expr=100%2Aabs%281-%28approx%29%2F%28exact%29%29.gif
. What percentage error results if you calculate the magnetic field using the approximate formula for a current loop instead of the exact formula?
percent error: _ %

(c) What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field midway between the two coils if the current in the right loop is reversed to run clockwise?
magnitude: _
direction: _

Homework Equations

|B| = (mu_0 / 4pi) * (I * R^2 * 2pi) / (R^2 + z^2)^(3/2)
|B_approx| = (mu_0 / 4pi) * (2 * I) / r

mu_0 / 4pi = 1e-7
R = radius
r = distance from ring
z = distance from center of ring along z-axis

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the |B| formula with I = 30 (3A * 10 turns of wire), R = 0.03 m, z = d/2 = 0.065 m. I got 4.6238e-5 T as my answer and it was wrong. This seems too large. Do I need to include the other wire loop, by adding? Do I need to keep I = 3 A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cranen and welcome to PF.:welcome:

Yes you need to consider the superposition from both loops. Please invest some time to learn how to use LaTeX and use it to enter your equations. It will help us help you much more efficiently.

Likes cranen
cranen said:
I tried using the |B| formula with I = 30 (3A * 10 turns of wire), R = 0.03 m, z = d/2 = 0.065 m. I got 4.6238e-5 T as my answer and it was wrong. This seems too large. Do I need to include the other wire loop, by adding? Do I need to keep I = 3 A?
Yes you need to include both loops. Yes the current is 3 A for each loop.

It looks to me that your result for one loop is off by a factor of ten (too large). Check your exponent calculations.

Likes cranen
I tried ## |B| = 1e-7*\frac {3A*0.03m^2*2π}{(0.03m^2+0.065m^2)^{3/2}} ## and then multiplied it by 2 to incorporate both rings and got 9.247e-6. It was wrong

Thank you for using LaTeX. The way you have written your equation with numbers makes it difficult to figure out what's what. Try using symbols and substitute the numbers at the very end. This will make it much easier for us to diagnose your mistakes. I don't see where the number 7 comes from in your answer and I don't see the 10 (number of loops) anywhere either. Also, there should be no factors of pi in your expression.

On edit: I just realized that the "7" is an exponent.

Likes cranen
## |B| = \frac μ {4π} \frac {I*R^2*2π} {(R^2 + z^2)^(3/2)} ##
R = 0.03 m
z = d/2 = .065 m
I = 3 A
## \frac μ {4π} = 1e-7 ##

Great! You are a fast LaTeX learner. In the expression that you have, note that 2π in the numerator and 4π in the numerator is just 1/2. This expression is for the B-field from one coil. You need to multiply this by the number of coils that you have contributing to the B-field at the point of interest. What is that number?

So it would be ## |B| = \frac μ 2 \frac {IR^2} {(R^2+z^2)^{3/2}} ## and then since there are two coils I would use just have ## |B| = μ \frac {IR^2} {(R^2+z^2)^{3/2}} ##

cranen said:
Both coils contain 10 turns of wire ...
Each coil has 10 turns and you have an expression for the B-field due to 1 turn, So ...

So I would need 20 total, or 10 if I used the very last equation I typed?

Yes and yes.

Likes cranen
Thanks so much for all the help!

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force is exerted on charged particles. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in magnets or electric currents.

How is a magnetic field produced by a coil?

A magnetic field is produced by a coil when an electric current flows through it. The current creates a circular magnetic field around the coil, with the direction of the field determined by the direction of the current.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by a coil?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by a coil is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current flowing through the coil, and the material of the core (if present) around which the coil is wound. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

How can a magnetic field be visualized?

A magnetic field can be visualized using iron filings, which align themselves along the field lines. Another method is using a compass, which will align with the magnetic field and point in the direction of the field lines.

What is the practical application of a magnetic field produced by a coil?

The magnetic field produced by a coil has many practical applications, including in motors and generators, electromagnets, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also used in various electronic devices, such as speakers, microphones, and magnetic storage media.