Magnetic field of two current-carrying wires crossing over

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
ness87
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Two long current-carrying wires cross at an angle of 21° ("theta" is half of this) as shown in the figure above. The magnitude of the current is the same in each wire, I=400 A.

A wood mouse is running along the dashed line midway between the wires towards the point where the wires cross. The mouse turns back at point P, some distance x from the wire crossing point, because the magnetic field strength reaches an unbearable 6.8 mT. Determine the distance x (in cm).


Okay, so I assigned the dotted line perpendicular to one of the wires (in the triangle of interest in the diagram) as 'r' and...

I did:

B=(μ0/2pi) x I/r
so r =μ0/2pi x I/B
Therefore
r=(2x10^(-7) x 400)/6.8
Therefore r = 1.176x10^(-5)

Now using sine
sin(theta) = r/x
sin(10.5)=(1.176x10^(-5))/x
therefore x = (1.176x10^(-5))/(sin(10.5))
=6.45 x 10^(-5)
=0.0000645meters
=0.00645cm
or 6.45x10^(-3)cm

WHICH IS WRONG!
The weird thing is if i multiply that by two and move the decimal i have 12.9cm which is close to the correct answer of 12.91cm. Maybe I have stuffed up the formula or the units somewhere...

Also I'm aware the question is in millitesla so maybe i should have used 0.0068T in my first equation. However when I compute this I still get the wrong answer.

If you can help that would be great, I thought I was doing this the right way but maybe there is another way.
 
Attachments
  • Top.JPG
    Top.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 823
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ness87. The distance from both wires at P are equal and the fields due to both are the sum of their individual fields. So the field would be [itex]B=2\frac{\mu_0I}{2{\pi}r}[/itex]. Using [itex]B=6.8\times10^{-3}[/itex] T also, gives you a factor of 2000 off from the answer
 
Ahhh! Fantastic, yes that makes sense to do twice the field strength because both fields contribute. Great!

Thank you very much sleepy time, much appreciated