Magnetic field of two current-carrying wires crossing over

In summary, a wood mouse is running along the dashed line midway between the wires and, because the field strength reaches an unbearable 6.8mT, it turns back at point P.
ness87
Two long current-carrying wires cross at an angle of 21° ("theta" is half of this) as shown in the figure above. The magnitude of the current is the same in each wire, I=400 A.

A wood mouse is running along the dashed line midway between the wires towards the point where the wires cross. The mouse turns back at point P, some distance x from the wire crossing point, because the magnetic field strength reaches an unbearable 6.8 mT. Determine the distance x (in cm).

Okay, so I assigned the dotted line perpendicular to one of the wires (in the triangle of interest in the diagram) as 'r' and...

I did:

B=(μ0/2pi) x I/r
so r =μ0/2pi x I/B
Therefore
r=(2x10^(-7) x 400)/6.8
Therefore r = 1.176x10^(-5)

Now using sine
sin(theta) = r/x
sin(10.5)=(1.176x10^(-5))/x
therefore x = (1.176x10^(-5))/(sin(10.5))
=6.45 x 10^(-5)
=0.0000645meters
=0.00645cm
or 6.45x10^(-3)cm

WHICH IS WRONG!
The weird thing is if i multiply that by two and move the decimal i have 12.9cm which is close to the correct answer of 12.91cm. Maybe I have stuffed up the formula or the units somewhere...

Also I'm aware the question is in millitesla so maybe i should have used 0.0068T in my first equation. However when I compute this I still get the wrong answer.

If you can help that would be great, I thought I was doing this the right way but maybe there is another way.

Attachments

• Top.JPG
    Top.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 715
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ness87. The distance from both wires at P are equal and the fields due to both are the sum of their individual fields. So the field would be [itex]B=2\frac{\mu_0I}{2{\pi}r}[/itex]. Using [itex]B=6.8\times10^{-3}[/itex] T also, gives you a factor of 2000 off from the answer

Ahhh! Fantastic, yes that makes sense to do twice the field strength because both fields contribute. Great!

Thank you very much sleepy time, much appreciated

Related to Magnetic field of two current-carrying wires crossing over

1. What is the relationship between the magnetic fields of two current-carrying wires crossing over?

The magnetic fields of two current-carrying wires crossing over are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the current in one wire increases, the magnetic field it produces will also increase, causing a corresponding increase in the magnetic field of the other wire.

2. How does the distance between the two wires affect their magnetic fields?

The magnetic fields of two current-carrying wires crossing over are inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the magnetic fields they produce will decrease, and vice versa.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field produced by two current-carrying wires crossing over?

The direction of the magnetic field produced by two current-carrying wires crossing over is perpendicular to the plane formed by the two wires. This means that the magnetic field lines will be parallel to each other and will run in a circular pattern around the wires.

4. How can the strength of the magnetic field be increased or decreased?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by two current-carrying wires crossing over can be increased by increasing the current in one or both of the wires, or by decreasing the distance between them. It can be decreased by decreasing the current or increasing the distance between the wires.

5. Can the magnetic fields of the two wires cancel each other out?

Yes, it is possible for the magnetic fields of two current-carrying wires crossing over to cancel each other out if they are oriented in opposite directions and have equal magnitudes. This is known as a null point and is commonly used in applications such as magnetic field shielding.