Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnetic Fields and total force

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    Help!

Given that B = (6x, -9y, 3z) find the total force experienced by a rectangular loop in the z = 0 plane:

Loop defined as...
    1<x<3
    1<y<2

with 5 Amp current flowing COUNTERclockwise.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2
    1) according to our guidelines, you need to show us what you have done
    2) what is the formula that you would use here ?
    3) are you sure you have all the data that you need ?

marlon

4. Nov 29, 2006 #3
    1) I guess I got a little anxious with the submit button!

I'm having problems setting up the equation.

2) I believe we're to use the equation: F = Int(dl x B) (where "x" indicated a cross product.)

I know I need to apply superposition to the loop - doing the integral for each of the four sides of the loop.

My problem comes from finding dl. Maybe I'm approaching the problem from the wrong angle. I initially thought you would use the integral relating B and the length of the loop in differential form.

3) I've submitted all information given, but I'm unclear if there's an intermediate step to solve extra needed data.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  5. Nov 29, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sinde the field is constant, your integral reduces to a sum of four terms for the four sides of the loop, where each term is of the form (Bold is vector)

F = I L x B

6. Nov 29, 2006 #5
    With that analysis I keep getting the total resultant force as zero. Does this make any sense?

7. Nov 29, 2006 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What happens to the force when you reverse the current in a wire? You have pairs of opposite currents, so it absolutely does make sense. Torque would be a different matter.

8. Nov 29, 2006 #7
    That's right! Thank you so much for the help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook