Magnetic Fields from Currents in a Wire

In summary, the homework equation says that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the current enclosed in that loop. If you want to calculate the magnetic field around a square, you need to use the Ampere-Maxwell law.
diethaltao

Homework Statement

A solid cylindrical conducting shell of inner radius a = 5.3 cm and outer radius b = 7.9 cm has its axis aligned with the z-axis as shown. It carries a uniformly distributed current I2 = 7.1 A in the positive z-direction. An infinite conducting wire is located along the z-axis and carries a current I1 = 2.7 A in the negative z-direction.

What is [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{P}_{S}[/itex] [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] . [itex]\vec{dL}[/itex], where the integral is taken on the straight line path from point S to point P as shown?

Link to the picture: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/diethaltao/h15_cylindersD.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure how to approach this problem. At first I found the difference between the values of the magnetic field at P and at S, but this was wrong.
Then I thought to use
∫[itex]\vec{B}[/itex] . [itex]\vec{dL}[/itex] = μoI
but B is not constant over the interval [S,P] so I can't pull it out of the integral.

I was able to calculate the integral along the dotted path in the picture, which I basically did by realizing R to S was perpendicular to the field so it didn't count, and that P to R was 1/8 of a larger circle drawn around the diagram. But in this case, B was a constant distance from the centre.

Any input is appreciate. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi diethaltao! :smile:

how about doing it along a path 8 times as long, in a square? :wink:

Hi tiny-tim!

So, I would find r using the Pythagorean Theorem:
r = [itex]\sqrt{((0.21)(0.6))^2+(0.21-(0.21)(0.6))^2}[/itex] = 0.151.
So I would multiply the field (which I found at point P to be 4.19E-6) by the perimeter of the square?
And the perimeter would be 8R...? Obviously I messed up somewhere.

hi diethaltao! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

why do you want to know the field?

try using the Ampere-Maxwell law :wink:

Hi tiny-tim!

Ampere-Maxwell's law says that [itex]\vec{B}[/itex].[itex]\vec{dL}[/itex] around a closed loop is proportional to the current enclosed in that loop, or
[itex]\oint[/itex][itex]\vec{B}[/itex].[itex]\vec{dL}[/itex] = μo*Ienc.
But I can't just plug in the values of μo and Ienc to solve for the integral. And if I choose a square to be my enclosed area, B wouldn't be the same along the side, correct? For example, the field at point S would be stronger than at point P.

diethaltao said:
And if I choose a square to be my enclosed area, B wouldn't be the same along the side, correct? For example, the field at point S would be stronger than at point P.

yes, but if eg you extend PS to a point T on the y axis,

then ∫ B.dl along PS will be the same as ∫ B.dl along ST, won't it? :wink:

Ok, I understand that.
So now I have something like the picture attached, where R is the hypotenuse of a 0.21 by 0.21 triangle (not sure if I need that value, but I calculated it anyways.)
The integral from P to S is the same as the integral of T to S.
And therefore, the integral from P to T would be the same as it would be for the other three sides of the square.
I tried integrating around the whole square and dividing it by 8, but that was incorrect.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/diethaltao/Untitled.png

Last edited:
hi diethaltao! :wink:

use the Ampere-Maxwell law

∫ B.dl = … ? :smile:

Oh, wow, I get it now.
Can't believe I overlooked something so simple! Thanks so much! :smile:

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in electric currents.

How are magnetic fields created by currents in a wire?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow.

What is the right-hand rule for determining the direction of a magnetic field?

The right-hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of a magnetic field created by a current. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

Can the strength of a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the strength of a magnetic field can be changed by altering the current flowing through the wire. Increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the current will result in a weaker magnetic field.

Can magnetic fields from currents in a wire be used for practical purposes?

Yes, magnetic fields from currents in a wire have many practical applications, such as in electric motors and generators, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They also play a crucial role in the functioning of many electronic devices.