Magnetic Flux Density vs Magnet Geometry

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of magnetic flux density calculators to determine the Br value of a rectangular magnet, and the question of whether the gauss value of an arc magnet is the same as that of a rectangular magnet. The unit of measure for the B field is gauss or tesla, and there are currently no free calculators available for determining the B field of an arc magnet. It is uncertain whether the shape of the magnet affects the magnitude of the B field, and if two magnets of different shapes but the same volume would have the same magnitude.
Neferkamichael
2Magnets.jpg

Gentlemen, the the image shows 2 N48 neodymium magnets of the same volume 54 in2. On several website I can use magnetic flux density calculators to get the Br of the rectangular magnetic but haven't found one that calculates the value of the arc magnet. The Br value of the rectangular magnet is 4010 gauss. Is the gauss value of the arc magnet the same as the rectangular magnet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by gauss value, and I think to have the answer to the B-field from these magnets, we need to know more than just their volumes.

The unit of measure of the B field is guass or tesla. With a flux density calculator you plug in the length, width, and thickness, plus the relative permeability of the material you are using and the value returned is in gauss or tesla, the magnitude of the b field. I can't find any free calculators that will calculate the magnitude of the b field of an arc magnet. I was wondering if anybody knows if the shape of the magnet is important in determining the magnitude of the b field or if 2 magnets of different shapes but the same volume would have the same magnitude.

1. What is magnetic flux density?

Magnetic flux density, also known as magnetic field strength, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field. It is represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. How does magnetic flux density differ from magnet geometry?

Magnetic flux density refers to the strength of a magnetic field, while magnet geometry refers to the physical shape and arrangement of magnets. The two are related, but not interchangeable.

3. What factors affect magnetic flux density?

The strength of a magnetic field, or magnetic flux density, is affected by the strength of the magnet, the distance from the magnet, and the orientation of the magnet. It is also affected by the material the magnet is made of and any nearby magnetic materials.

4. How does magnet geometry impact magnetic flux density?

The shape and arrangement of magnets can affect the distribution and strength of the magnetic flux density. For example, a cylindrical magnet will have a different magnetic flux density pattern than a rectangular magnet, even if they have the same strength.

5. How is magnetic flux density measured?

Magnetic flux density can be measured using a variety of instruments, including a gaussmeter or a magnetometer. These instruments measure the strength of the magnetic field in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).