Magnetic flux through triangular ring

In summary, the student is trying to find the total magnetic flux through the triangular cross-section of a wire carrying current I and is having difficulty getting the answer correct.
Ngineer

Homework Statement

Very long wire carrying current I is surrounded by a brass ring of a triangular cross section. (figure attached)

Show that ψ =
Code:
μ° I h 
------   (b - a ln ((a+b)/b) 
  2∏b

Homework Equations

A = (μ°I/2∏ * ln x) az (according to one of the solutions, where x is the distance between wire and surface)

ψ = ∫A.dl

The Attempt at a Solution

First attempt:
My first approach was to integrate the magnetic vector potential over the volume of the the ring, I defined the distance from the wire to the surface as:
d(x,z) = a + b(z/h) + x {0<= z<= h and 0<=x<=b(1 - z/h)

where
z is the rise in the z axis
x is the distance through the surface of the ring (i.e. distance penetrated through the surface)then I took ψ as a triple integral of
z from 0 to h
x from 0 to b(1-z/h)
θ from 0 to 2∏,

of °I/2∏ * ln d(x,z)) az * dxdydθ

but I got a wrong answer

Second attempt
I took only the surface in consideration, i.e. removing all mention of θ. Still couldn't reach the original formula.

I spent almost 4 hours trying to figure this out. I looked up an online solution (out of genuine interest to know how the problem is solved, not academic dishonesty) and after a lengthy process they reach a different formula and claim that this is the solution!

This is really puzzling me because it looks rather simple, like I'm missing a basic formula or something.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• prob.png
    prob.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 661
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Ngineer.

Note that finding "the total number of magnetic flux lines in the ring" is equivalent to finding the total magnetic flux through the triangular cross-section of the ring.

So, use the expression for the magnetic field B of a wire and integrate B over the triangular cross-section.

The answer given doesn't appear to me to be correct. You would expect the answer to go to zero as b goes to zero while keeping a and h constant.

[EDIT: I believe the b in the denominator of the logarithm should be a.]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Yeah. I also just did it using B=μ°I/2∏r and doing a double integral with z on the inside going from 0 to (h/b)(r-a) and r going from a to a+b. The result I got was nearly the same as expected except that I also found the denominator inside the logarithm is a and not b.

Likes 1 person

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area of the surface (A) that the field is passing through. The formula is Φ = B x A.

What is a triangular ring?

A triangular ring is a three-sided ring with equal angles and unequal lengths. It is often used in physics experiments to demonstrate principles of magnetic fields and flux.

How does magnetic flux pass through a triangular ring?

Magnetic flux passes through a triangular ring in the same way as it passes through any other surface - by the magnetic field lines crossing through the surface. The amount of flux passing through the ring will depend on the strength of the magnetic field and the orientation of the ring.

What factors affect the magnetic flux through a triangular ring?

The magnetic flux through a triangular ring is affected by the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, as well as the size and shape of the ring. The material of the ring can also have an impact on the flux, as different materials have different magnetic properties.