Magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires

In summary, the problem involves finding the current in two parallel wires hanging from a common axis, given their mass per unit length, the angle at which they hang, and the gravitational acceleration. Three attempts are made to solve the problem, with the final successful solution involving setting the horizontal component of tension equal to the magnetic force between the wires and the vertical component of tension equal to the force of gravity. The final equation used is T_x = -F_B = -L * mu_0 * I^2 / (4 * pi * (0.04 - 0.04 * sin(theta))), with r = 2 * 0.04 * sin(theta), and T_y = -F_g = L * (1.3
c4795
Magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires (solved)

Homework Statement

Two long, parallel wires hang by 4.00-cm-long cords from a common axis. The wires have a mass per unit length of 1.30×10−2 kg/m and carry the same current in opposite directions. What is the current in each wire if the cords hang at an angle 6° with the vertical?

Here is the diagram: http://i.imgur.com/alycY.jpg

Homework Equations

Magnetic force between two parallel lines of current

[tex]F_{B} = L \frac{\mu_{0}I_{1}I_{2}}{2\pi r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1

Well first I tried setting the gravitational potential energy equal to the work done by the magnetic force.

[tex] L \times g \times d \times (1.3 \times 10^{-2}) = \int_a^b{F_{B} \mathrm{d}r}[/tex]

Where L is the length of the wires.

I solved for the distance the wires would move against gravity, d, using trig, and since the currents are the same I1I2 becomes I2.

[tex]L \times g \times (0.04 - 0.04\mathrm{cos}(6^{\circ})(1.3 \times 10^{-2}) = \int_a^b{F_{B} \mathrm{d}r}[/tex]

The integral simplifies to a constant times the integral of 1/r, and the L's cancel out.

The limits of the integral can be solved by trigonometry, what I thought they'd be is 0 to 2*0.04*sin(6°). However, 1/r does not converge at 0 so this blows up.

Attempt 2

I thought I might be over complicating it so I attempted setting the force of gravity equal to the magnetic force:

[tex]L \times g \times (1.3 \times 10^{-2}) = L \frac{\mu_{0}I^{2}}{2\pi r}[/tex]

Again the L's cancel out, and if I use r = 2 * (0.04 - 0.04*cos(6°)) I get the answer I = 16.7 A, which doesn't work.

Attempt 3

I tried drawing a FBD, where there's tension T along the cords and it's equal to <-FB, -Fg>. I'm not sure I can go anywhere from here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you have to find?

Inna said:
What do you have to find?

Oh so sorry, the question is to find the current I in each wire, if the cords hang at 6 degrees with the vertical (as in the picture). I'll edit my post.

Free body diagram for one of the wires is a great idea. You are right that veritical component of tension should be equal to the force of gravity and horizontal component is equal to magnetic force between the wires. This gives you two equations with two unknowns.
Good luck!

Inna said:
Free body diagram for one of the wires is a great idea. You are right that veritical component of tension should be equal to the force of gravity and horizontal component is equal to magnetic force between the wires. This gives you two equations with two unknowns.
Good luck!

I am having trouble understanding how the two equations relate so that I can solve them.

Can you try to write these equations?

Yes, they are:

[tex]T_{x} = -F_{B} = -L \frac{\mu_{0}I^{2}}{4\pi(0.04-0.04sin(\theta))}[/tex]

with r = 2 * (0.04 - 0.04sin(t)), and

[tex]T_{y} = -F_{g} = L (1.3\ast 10^{-2}) g[/tex]

I am not sure where to go from here. Does it perhaps involve torque?

Tx = Tsin(6), Ty = Tcos(6)

I am not sure if your expression for the distance between the wires is correct if theta is 6 degrees. Would not it be r = 2*(.04)*sin(6)?

Inna said:
Tx = Tsin(6), Ty = Tcos(6)

I am not sure if your expression for the distance between the wires is correct if theta is 6 degrees. Would not it be r = 2*(.04)*sin(6)?

Thank you very much, I was able to solve it. I can't believe I overlooked that :rolleyes:. And yes you're correct it's r = 2*0.4*sin(6). Thanks again, I'm going to make the TeX a bit nicer and mark the thread resolved :smile:.

1. What is the magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires?

The magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires is the force of attraction or repulsion between the two wires due to their magnetic fields.

2. How is the magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires calculated?

The magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires can be calculated using the equation F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

3. What factors affect the magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires?

The magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires is affected by the strength of the wires' magnetic fields, the distance between the wires, and the direction of the currents in the wires.

4. Can the magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires be repulsive?

Yes, the magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the direction of the currents in the wires.

5. How does the magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires change with distance?

The magnetic force between two parallel hanging wires decreases as the distance between the wires increases. This is because the strength of the magnetic field decreases with distance, resulting in a weaker force of attraction or repulsion.