Magnetic Sensor Sensitivity units mV/V/gauss, etc.

In summary, magnetic sensor sensitivity is typically measured in units of mV/V/gauss and refers to the change in output voltage per unit change in magnetic field strength. This unit is commonly used to measure the sensitivity of a magnetic sensor and indicates its ability to detect small changes in magnetic fields. The higher the mV/V/gauss value, the more sensitive the sensor is. Other units such as Tesla or Gauss can also be used to measure magnetic field strength, but mV/V/gauss is a common unit specifically used for measuring sensor sensitivity.
VinnyCee
So I've been looking at magnetic sensor datasheets and I see the sensitivity is usually listed in units of mV/V/gauss. What does this mean?

Let's say I need to sense changes in a magnetic field that usually ranges from about 10 gauss ( 1 mT ) to about 130 gauss ( 13 mT ). And I need to be able to sense 0.12 gauss ( 12 μT ) differnces in the field ( basically the range divided into 1000 equal parts ).

How would I calculate the sensitivity range that would be sufficient for such an application?

Physics news on Phys.org
Such a sensor has input voltage and output voltage. Hence you get how the output voltage changes per input voltage per the field measured. Assuming your input voltage is very stable, or you can account for its fluctuations in some other way, this then becomes output voltage per field. Any major manufacturer of such device should have some literature that will explain this in more details and offer some design guidance.

voko said:
this then becomes output voltage per field. Any major manufacturer of such device should have some literature that will explain this in more details and offer some design guidance.

So let's say for the http://www51.honeywell.com/aero/common/documents/myaerospacecatalog-documents/Missiles-Munitions/HMC_1001-1002-1021-1022_Data_Sheet.pdf, which has a sensitivity of 1.0 mV/V/gauss, this would mean that for every 1 gauss change in detected magnetic field, there would be a 1 mV change in output?

I notice there is lots of other information there, seems a bit overwhelming at first! I am most concerned with sensitivity, linearity and repeatability. All of these are described in the datasheet, but I'm not sure how to correlate what I need (described above) into what it would say on a datasheet for a suitable product. Any advice?

VinnyCee said:
So let's say for the http://www51.honeywell.com/aero/common/documents/myaerospacecatalog-documents/Missiles-Munitions/HMC_1001-1002-1021-1022_Data_Sheet.pdf, which has a sensitivity of 1.0 mV/V/gauss, this would mean that for every 1 gauss change in detected magnetic field, there would be a 1 mV change in output?

You need to factor in the input voltage. On that same datasheet, it is specified as a range from +2V to +12V, with the typical being +5V. With that voltage stable, the sensitivity will be 1.0 mV/V/Gauss x 5V = 5.0 mv/Gauss.

Any advice?

I am not an EE guy, so even if I give you advice in this area, don't listen to me. I just (I hope) I know the underlying physics, but when it comes to systems design I would be completely clueless. If what you do is for some laboratory project, you probably could get a digital magnetometer from them, such as this one http://www51.honeywell.com/aero/common/documents/myaerospacecatalog-documents/Missiles-Munitions/HMR2300.pdf and spare yourself a lot of trouble.

I sent an email to a few manufacturers to inquire about what products they may have which would be applicable here. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon with some good news!

It's not for a lab project, I'm trying to use it to make a device.

Using the info in the OP, can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in the fields "sensitivity", "linearity", and "repeatability" fields in a prospective device's datasheet?

1. What does "mV/V/gauss" mean in relation to magnetic sensor sensitivity?

The unit "mV/V/gauss" refers to the output voltage of the sensor (in millivolts) per unit of input voltage (in volts) per unit of magnetic field strength (in gauss). This unit is commonly used to measure the sensitivity of a magnetic sensor, which is the ratio of the sensor output to the applied magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic sensor sensitivity measured?

Magnetic sensor sensitivity is typically measured by applying a known magnetic field to the sensor and recording the resulting output voltage. The sensitivity can then be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the applied magnetic field strength.

3. What is the typical range of sensitivity for magnetic sensors?

The sensitivity of magnetic sensors can vary greatly depending on the type and design of the sensor. However, the typical range of sensitivity for magnetic sensors is between 1-100 mV/V/gauss.

4. How does temperature affect magnetic sensor sensitivity?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the sensitivity of magnetic sensors. Generally, as temperature increases, the sensitivity of the sensor decreases due to changes in the magnetic properties of the materials used in the sensor. It is important to consider the temperature range in which a magnetic sensor will be used in order to select the most appropriate sensor for the application.

5. Can the sensitivity of a magnetic sensor be adjusted?

The sensitivity of a magnetic sensor is determined by its design and cannot be easily adjusted. However, there are some methods that can be used to modify the sensitivity, such as changing the geometry or materials of the sensor. In some cases, external circuitry can also be used to adjust the sensor's sensitivity.