Magnitude and Direction of Magnetic Field

In summary, an electron traveling northward experiences the greatest force of 7.2 x 10^-13 N when it travels 2.9 x 10^6 ms in a magnetic field. The magnitude and direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the formula F= qvB, where the field should be perpendicular or horizontal to the upward force. If the answer is negative, the field should be pointing in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction.
thermocleanse

Homework Statement

An electron experiences the greatest force as it travels 2.9 x 10^6 ms in a magnetic field when it is moving northward. The force is upward and of magnitude 7.2 x 10^-13 N. What are the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to get a diagram going for this. Anything would be helpful. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the force exerted by a magnetic field of strength B, on a charge Q, moving at a velocity v?

F=?

When you get that it becomes simple algebra.

If the electron is moving northwards, what direction should the field be pointing?

I'm using F(max) = qvB because it seems that it's 90 degrees. The field should be 90 degrees relative to the upward force, so the field is perpendicular, or horizontal, right?

Also, because of the charge on the electron, i get a negative answer (in Tesla). does this mean that i indicate the negative charge as "eastward?"

please see attached. thank you!

Attachments

• 20-p15.pdf
    509.6 KB · Views: 631
thermocleanse said:
I'm using F(max) = qvB because it seems that it's 90 degrees. The field should be 90 degrees relative to the upward force, so the field is perpendicular, or horizontal, right?

Also, because of the charge on the electron, i get a negative answer (in Tesla). does this mean that i indicate the negative charge as "eastward?"

please see attached. thank you!

I think if it is negative then your field should be pointing in the opposite direction that you took as the +ve direction.

1. What is the definition of magnetic field?

The magnetic field is a force field created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the magnitude of magnetic field measured?

The magnitude of magnetic field is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G) using a device called a magnetometer. These units represent the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point.

3. What is the relationship between electric current and the direction of magnetic field?

Electric current flowing through a wire creates a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the direction of the current. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire.

4. How does the direction of a magnetic field affect a moving charged particle?

A moving charged particle will experience a force when it enters a magnetic field. The direction of the force is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How can the direction of a magnetic field be determined?

The direction of a magnetic field can be determined using a compass. The north pole of a compass needle will point towards the south pole of a magnet, indicating the direction of the magnetic field. Alternatively, the right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the field based on the direction of current flow.