Magnitude of abs(H(exp(jwT)) = 2

In summary, the absolute value of the complex exponential function abs(H(exp(jwT)) is equal to 2. This can be easily understood by using Euler's identity, which states that on the complex plane, the complex exponential represents the magnitude and angle of a vector. By drawing a right triangle and using the Pythagorean theorem, the magnitude can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared real and imaginary parts. This can be applied to any complex exponential, including those with amplitudes. For further understanding, it is recommended to research and familiarize oneself with Euler's identity and other mathematical concepts.
Butters
abs(H(exp(jwT))=abs((exp(jwT)+2)/(exp(jwT)+0.5))=2

How come the answer is 2. I just find it impossible to express it in terms of Imaginary and Real parts so that I could find the absolute value.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks but I didn't get what you mean by Euler's identity. I know that one can express exponential in terms of real (coswT) and imaginary (jsinwT) parts. Then the magnitude should be squared root of the sum of those parts squared.
Anyway, so whenever I have to find absolute value of exponentials I just substitute 1. Is it the same for exp(-2jwT) and exp(-jwT)?

You need to understand such that you can prove the magnitude is 1. It is actually very simple. sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 by definition.

On the complex plane the comnplex exponential represents the magnitude and angle of a vector. If you draw that and the right triangle it defines, you see the cos part (horizontal axis) and the sin part (vert axis). It is that simple. If the exponential has an amplitude (like Aexp(-jwt)) then you modify the vector and adjust accordingly. (now it is Asin + Acos)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Euler's_formula.svg

Abs(x+jy)=sqrt(x^2+y^2) see: http://www.clarku.edu/~djoyce/complex/abs.html
Let's say exp(jwt)=z=x+jy x=cos(wt) y=sin(wt) x^2+y^2=1
Abs(H(z))=Abs(x+2+jy)/Abs(x+0.5+jy)=sqrt(((x+2)^2+y^2)/((x+0.5)^2+y^2)))
x^2+4x+4+y^2=4x+5
x^2+x+0.25+y^2=x+1.25
sqrt((4x+5)/(x+1.25))=2 for all x!

Butters said:
Thanks but I didn't get what you mean by Euler's identity. I know that one can express exponential in terms of real (coswT) and imaginary (jsinwT) parts. Then the magnitude should be squared root of the sum of those parts squared.
Anyway, so whenever I have to find absolute value of exponentials I just substitute 1. Is it the same for exp(-2jwT) and exp(-jwT)?

The idea on a forum like this is that you come across a term like "Euler's Identity" and you look it up. If the maths is beyond you the, perhaps you need to get more familiar with it. I learned Euler's Identity at A level so it isn't that hard to understand - even less difficult to find it somewhere on the web. Maths is not a field where you can dip into it at random places and expect to 'get it'. You need to start at your present level and follow it through.
I am not being grumpy about this; I am simply being realistic.

You are right, Sophiecentaur, it is not a big deal and I am doubt if Leonard Euler himself dealt with it, indeed.Of course, it is not Gamma or Bessel function but was as a joke for a smile.:approve:

1. What is the magnitude of abs(H(exp(jwT))?

The magnitude of abs(H(exp(jwT)) is equal to 2.

2. How is the magnitude of abs(H(exp(jwT)) calculated?

The magnitude of abs(H(exp(jwT)) is calculated by taking the absolute value of the complex number H(exp(jwT)).

3. What does abs(H(exp(jwT)) represent?

The magnitude of abs(H(exp(jwT)) represents the amplitude of the frequency response of a system.

4. Why is the value of abs(H(exp(jwT)) equal to 2?

The value of abs(H(exp(jwT)) is equal to 2 because it is the maximum amplitude of the frequency response, indicating that the system has a strong response at that particular frequency.

5. How does the value of abs(H(exp(jwT)) affect the overall system behavior?

The value of abs(H(exp(jwT)) can affect the overall system behavior by indicating the strength of the system's response at a specific frequency. A higher magnitude can indicate a stronger response and a lower magnitude can indicate a weaker response.