1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of electric field between two concentric oppositely charged

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Magnitude of electric field between two concentric oppositely charged spheres.

csph.gif

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I first went with the simple electric field equation E=V/d

So I have the potential difference V between the two sphere surfaces. I can't do Latex but hyperphysics has it anyway:

csph3.gif

So I know V.
    And surely, in E=V/d, the distance d is simply b-a.

So finally I sub my V and d into the equation and I'm left with:

E = Q/(4πεab)

Which looks reasonable enough.. But all sources on the Internet tell me that the answer is simply:

E=Q/4πεr2

The real confusing thing for me here is... What is 'r' ? What is it the radius from? The radius from the centre? Or from the surface of the inner sphere? Or something else..??

I fear my problem may be with the fact that I used E=V/d, which is possibly only valid for charged plates, rather than spheres? Either way, I'm still a little confused about what the 'r' actually means in the correct answer.

Thanks for any guidance :thumbs:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2
    Should 'r' be defined such that:

a < r < b

?

4. Mar 6, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The expression above the ##\Delta V## formula you show is that selfsame E=Q/(4πεr2) !
    Read up on Gauss's theorem (ibidem, another two lines higher up, or Gauss's law)

Your E=V/d is a special case for a constant ##\vec E ## all over the place.
    Otherwise (here for instance) ##\vec E = -\vec\nabla V##.

And r is simply the distance to the center.

5. Mar 6, 2014 #4
    Oh dear oh dear! So yeah I guess my main error was for the E=Vd part.

I've been taught about E = -∇V before, and yeah that makes perfect sense come to think of it.

Electric/Magnetic fields is certainly my weakest subject at the moment. Must study harder!

Thanks for showing me that :thumbs:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted