Magnitude of electric field between two concentric oppositely charged

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
sa1988
Messages
221
Reaction score
23

Homework Statement



Magnitude of electric field between two concentric oppositely charged spheres.

csph.gif


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



So I first went with the simple electric field equation E=V/d

So I have the potential difference V between the two sphere surfaces. I can't do Latex but hyperphysics has it anyway:

csph3.gif


So I know V.
And surely, in E=V/d, the distance d is simply b-a.

So finally I sub my V and d into the equation and I'm left with:

E = Q/(4πεab)

Which looks reasonable enough.. But all sources on the Internet tell me that the answer is simply:

E=Q/4πεr2

The real confusing thing for me here is... What is 'r' ? What is it the radius from? The radius from the centre? Or from the surface of the inner sphere? Or something else..??

I fear my problem may be with the fact that I used E=V/d, which is possibly only valid for charged plates, rather than spheres? Either way, I'm still a little confused about what the 'r' actually means in the correct answer.

Thanks for any guidance :thumbs:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The expression above the ##\Delta V## formula you show is that selfsame E=Q/(4πεr2) !
Read up on Gauss's theorem (ibidem, another two lines higher up, or Gauss's law)

Your E=V/d is a special case for a constant ##\vec E ## all over the place.
Otherwise (here for instance) ##\vec E = -\vec\nabla V##.

And r is simply the distance to the center.
 
Oh dear oh dear! So yeah I guess my main error was for the E=Vd part.

I've been taught about E = -∇V before, and yeah that makes perfect sense come to think of it.

Electric/Magnetic fields is certainly my weakest subject at the moment. Must study harder!

Thanks for showing me that :thumbs: