1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of horizontal forces

1. Feb 24, 2015 #1
    A child pulls an 11 kg wagon with a horizontal handle whose mass is 1.8 kg. This results in the wagon and the handle accelerating at 2.3 m/s^2. Find the tension forces at each end of the handle. Why are these different?

Suppose that the mass of the child is 30 kg. What is the magnitude of the other horizontal forces acting on the child, besides the tension in the handle? Assume the child moves along with the wagon.

F = ma
    T1 - T2 = ma

Answer to first question: The tension forces are not equal because the formula states that T1 - T2 = m(a) and neither mass or acceleration are equal to 0.

Answer to second:
    T1 = 11 kg (2.3 m/s^2) = 25.3 N
    T2 = (11 kg + 1.8 kg)(2.3 m/s^2) = 29.4 N

This is where I'm stuck. What is the magnitude? What is the equation I'm supposed to be using. Do I just subtract the two tensions? Also do I subtract the mass of the wagon from the mass of the child?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How is the child managing to accelerate self and wagon?

4. Feb 24, 2015 #3
    That's all of the question. The child is pulling the wagon himself.

5. Feb 24, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but how is the child managing to go forwards, do you think? Pulled by a team of trained rabbits, perhaps? Attracted by a black hole? What's most likely?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted