Calculating Buoyant Force on a Boat

In summary, the conversation discusses the weight of a boat and the forces acting upon it, including the resistive force exerted by the water and the upward buoyant force. The magnitude of the resistive force is equal to the force of the boat, which is 7.40x10^5 Newtons. To find the upward buoyant force, the equation (mg) must be solved for m times g. However, it is unclear if there is enough information to accurately solve for this value.
PhunWithPhysics
Tell me if I am wrong or not, but you have a boat that weighs 1.70x10^8 kg and the engines are moving it with a forse of 7.40x10^5 Newtons.
a.) I think that the magnitude of the resistive force exerted by the water is equal to the force the boat witch is 7.40x10^5, is this correct?
b.) how do I find the upward buoyant force exerted on the boat?
Any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
yes

yes a is correct

part b is a (mg) problem now just solve for m times g

I'm not sure you have enough information for the first part. I believe what you said is true only if the boat is traveling at a constant speed (ie. a = 0).

1. What is the magnitude of resistive force?

The magnitude of resistive force is the strength or intensity of the force that opposes motion, typically caused by friction or drag.

2. How is the magnitude of resistive force measured?

The magnitude of resistive force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) using a force meter or calculated using the equation F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of resistive force?

The magnitude of resistive force is affected by the surface roughness, weight and speed of an object, as well as the medium through which it is moving (e.g. air, water).

4. How does the magnitude of resistive force impact motion?

The magnitude of resistive force acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, slowing down or preventing motion. The greater the magnitude of resistive force, the harder it is for an object to move at a constant velocity.

5. Can the magnitude of resistive force be reduced?

The magnitude of resistive force can be reduced by minimizing contact between surfaces, using lubricants, or changing the shape or design of the object to reduce drag. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural force that always opposes motion.