Magnitude of the net force that acts on the charge

In summary, a positive 1.8 µC charge moving at a speed of 2.6 106 m/s in a direction perpendicular to both a magnetic field with a magnitude of 1.2 10-3 T and an electric field with a magnitude of 6.0 103 N/C will experience a net force of q(E + v x B). Using the Lorentz force law, the magnitude of the net force can be calculated by taking the square root of (qE)^2 + (qvB)^2.
Confused5283
A magnetic field has a magnitude of 1.2 10-3 T, and an electric field has a magnitude of 6.0 103 N/C. Both fields point in the same direction. A positive 1.8 µC charge moves at a speed of 2.6 106 m/s in a direction that is perpendicular to both fields. Determine the magnitude of the net force that acts on the charge.

Okay, i know that Fnet=the square root of Fe^2+Fb^2, and after drawing a diagram, i think that they are 2 perpendicular forces, but I don't know what to plug into the equation, or where to begin. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
you want to start with the Lorentz force law. It states that the vector forces an electric charge will feel from a magnetic and electric field are

F = q(E + v x B) where E, v, and B are vectors and the x denotes the cross product. Pick any direction for the velocity (say the z direction) and then calculate the vector force. I think the other equaiton you have will just give you a magnitude.

thank u so much... that definitely helped...i solved the problem by doing:F=qE F=qvB then (qE)squared +(qvB)squared than i took the square root of that total :)

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of the net force on a charge?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of the net force on a charge is F = qE, where F is the net force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field.

2. How is the direction of the net force on a charge determined?

The direction of the net force on a charge is determined by the direction of the electric field and the direction of the charge. The force will be in the same direction as the electric field if the charge is positive, and in the opposite direction if the charge is negative.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the net force on a charge?

The magnitude of the net force on a charge is affected by the strength of the electric field, the magnitude of the charge, and the distance between the charge and the source of the electric field.

4. Can the net force on a charge be negative?

Yes, the net force on a charge can be negative if the charge is negative and the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the charge. This means that the charge will experience a force in the opposite direction of the electric field.

5. How does the magnitude of the net force on a charge change if the charge is moved closer or further away from the source of the electric field?

The magnitude of the net force on a charge is directly proportional to the distance between the charge and the source of the electric field. This means that if the charge is moved closer to the source, the force will increase, and if it is moved further away, the force will decrease.