Magnitude of Torque on a current loop

In summary, to find the magnitude of the net torque T on the loop, you need to use the equation τ = NiABsinθ and convert the units of current and magnetic field to N/T and N/(A*m), respectively. Also, make sure to use radians for the angle θ. Once you have the torque, you can find the angular acceleration by dividing it by the moment of inertia.
NikitaY

Homework Statement

A small current loop of area A=0.0008m2 and moment of inertia I=6.9e-07kgm2 carries a current i=0.0039A with its magnetic moment perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field. The magnitude of the Earth's field is B=4.2e-05T.

a). What is the magnitude of the net torque T on the loop?
T = ____ Nm

b). What is the angular acceleration a of the loop?
a = ___ rad/s2

Homework Equations

τ = NiABsinθ
α = τ/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the equation for toque and I am given all of the variables. I assumed that N = 1, and θ = 90°. When I plug in all of the numbers, I get the following:
τ = (1)*(.0039 A)*(.0008 m^2)*(4.2e-05 T)*sin90° = 1.3104*10-10 Nm. That is not the correct answer, however. I do not know what to do at this point. If I could get the torque, I would then be able to easily get the angular acceleration. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

First, make sure that all of your units are consistent. In your calculation, you have the units of amperes (A), meters squared (m^2), and teslas (T). However, the unit for torque is newton-meters (Nm), so you need to convert the units of current and magnetic field to newtons and meters, respectively.

To do this, you can use the fact that 1 ampere = 1 newton/meter. So, the units for current will be N*m/(m^2*T), which simplifies to N/T. Similarly, the units for magnetic field will be N/(m^2*A), which simplifies to N/(A*m). Make sure to include these unit conversions in your calculation.

Also, the angle θ should be in radians, not degrees. So, instead of using sin90°, use sin(90°*π/180) or sin(π/2).

After making these corrections, you should get the correct answer for torque. To find the angular acceleration, simply divide the torque by the moment of inertia, which is given as 6.9e-07 kgm^2.

Hope this helps!

1. What is torque on a current loop?

The torque on a current loop is the rotational force experienced by the loop due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through it.

2. How is torque on a current loop calculated?

The magnitude of torque on a current loop can be calculated using the formula: τ = IABsinθ, where τ is the torque, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of torque on a current loop?

The magnitude of torque on a current loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the loop, the size and orientation of the loop, and the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

4. What is the direction of torque on a current loop?

The direction of torque on a current loop is determined by the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. It follows the right-hand rule, where if the thumb points in the direction of the current, and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, the palm will face the direction of the torque.

5. How can the torque on a current loop be used?

The torque on a current loop can be used to rotate the loop, which can be harnessed for various applications such as electric motors, generators, and electromagnetic devices. It is also an important concept in understanding the behavior of current-carrying wires in a magnetic field.