Magnus effect, what is the correct formula?

In summary, the author is investigating the magnus effect and has not found a formula that is the correct formula. He has found some formulas, but has his doubts about their completeness/correctness. The main issue he has with one of the formulas is that the lift coefficient is not included. The article was about baseballs and the spin effect is more evident in the case of ping pong balls.
Joe28965
So I've been investigating the magnus effect for I guess 2 weeks, but I've not been able to find a formula that would seem to be the correct formula. I did find some formula, but I have my doubts about the completeness/correctness of all of these formulas. Note that I am trying to simulate what would happen to a golf ball, so the formulas I found that were for calculating cylinders I have not included.

Fm = π2 * ρ * ω * v * r3

My main issue with this formula is that the lift coefficient is not included in this formula, meaning it doesn't matter if the ball is smooth or (as in the case with golf balls) dimpled.

Fm = S*(ω x v)

I found this formula here http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/329/lectures/node43.html but it was not noted what S was, only a way to calculate it for the example of baseballs.

Fm = ½ * CL * ρ * A * v2 (ω x v)

I found this formula a lot, but the thing that bugs me with this one is that the cross product of ω and v is not a cross product of the vectors, but of the unit vectors, meaning that the last part is just to calculate the direction of the force. This would not be a problem if that was not the only place ω is used in that formula. Meaning that according to that formula ω is only used to calculate the direction, not the actual size of the force. I find it highly unlikely that the speed of which the ball is rotating does not affect the force, only the fact it is or is not rotating.

I could be wrong of course about these formulas. Or I could be interpreting them wrong. If any of you actually know something about the magnus force that could help me, I'd love for you to reply to this topic and maybe help me out, since I'm stuck at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
ω is not a unit vector. Assume the ball is moving left to right with back spin, ω is a vector pointed towards the observer, v is a vector pointed to the right, and (ω x v) is a vector pointed up with a magnitude of |ω| |v|.

but then the units wouldn't match up again. Right now it's:

Kg*m/s2 = kg/m3 * m2 * m2/s2 = kg*m4/m3*s2 = Kg*m/s2

If you would add ω and v as normal vectors, not unit vectors.

So that should have been ##(\hat{\omega} \ x \ \hat{v})## ?

Apparently the spin affects coefficient of lift:

http://spiff.rit.edu/richmond/baseball/traj/traj.html

That article was about baseballs. The spin effect is more evident in the case of ping pong balls.

Last edited:
As with all topics in aerodynamics, things are typically complicated here. For example, lift (and drag) coefficients are typically an empirical (or model) representation of a much more complicated phenomenon. In this case, the rotation rate would be wrapped up into the lift coefficient. On the other hand, as with the first equation, the lift coefficient need not be used. The first equation represents the lift on a ball due to the Magnus effect ignoring viscosity (if my memory serves me) so it is perfectly valid as an approximation. It won't account for separation effects, and therefore for golf ball dimples, though.

If you want to include all the physics then you are just out of luck in finding a simple formula because one simply doesn't exist. You would have to flat out solve the Navier-Stokes equations, and any simplifications you make from there will be removing at the very least a little bit of the physics for the sake of practicality.

mm6c5w.jpg
23sviwx.png
mm6c5w.jpg
23sviwx.png
Joe28965 said:
but then the units wouldn't match up again. Right now it's:

Kg*m/s2 = kg/m3 * m2 * m2/s2 = kg*m4/m3*s2 = Kg*m/s2

If you would add ω and v as normal vectors, not unit vectors.

Well folks, I was going to open a new thread to ask this but I found this one.

I ask here because the question has not been properly answered, that is what I think.

The dimensional analysis of the equation is what bothers me.

The term Fm= ½ * Cl * ρ * A * v2 is already dimensionally correct. We have:
Force= (Mass * Lenght)/Time2 = Density (Mass/Length3) * Area (Lenght2)* Speed(Lenght2/Time2) = Mass * Lenght / Time2

And this result raises the question on this term:

## \vec w \times \vec v ##

If it is dimensionless we are saying the lift force is not dependent on w modulus which is absurd.

If ##\vec w## and ##\vec v## have their dimensions we get:

## \vec w \times \vec v ## = IwI * IvI* sin (90) * unit vector.

Since w= (1/time) and v = lenght/time I think w * v = Lenght/Time 2

Force = (Mass * Lenght)/ (Time2) * Lenght/Time 2 = Mass Lenght2 / Time4

Which is not correct.

So what am I doing wrong?

In this article:
http://spiff.rit.edu/richmond/baseball/traj/traj.html#spin
The force is given by:
mm6c5w.jpg

I found the same formula in another article:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328816286_Model_trajectories_for_a_spinning_tennis_ball_I_The_service_stroke
Guess what, now it is different:

23sviwx.png

Can anybody clarify what is the correct dimensional analysis of this equation?

Thanks.

Attachments

• mm6c5w.jpg
    mm6c5w.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 3,139
  • 23sviwx.png
    23sviwx.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 3,243
Last edited by a moderator:
I found on another book FL does not depend explicitly on w, it does just because CL is a function of w.

I hope this helps others.

Joe28965 said:
So I've been investigating the magnus effect for I guess 2 weeks, but I've not been able to find a formula that would seem to be the correct formula. I did find some formula, but I have my doubts about the completeness/correctness of all of these formulas. Note that I am trying to simulate what would happen to a golf ball, so the formulas I found that were for calculating cylinders I have not included.

Fm = π2 * ρ * ω * v * r3

My main issue with this formula is that the lift coefficient is not included in this formula, meaning it doesn't matter if the ball is smooth or (as in the case with golf balls) dimpled.

Fm = S*(ω x v)

I found this formula here http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/329/lectures/node43.html but it was not noted what S was, only a way to calculate it for the example of baseballs.

I found this formula a lot, but the thing that bugs me with this one is that the cross product of ω and v is not a cross product of the vectors, but of the unit vectors, meaning that the last part is just to calculate the direction of the force. This would not be a problem if that was not the only place ω is used in that formula. Meaning that according to that formula ω is only used to calculate the direction, not the actual size of the force. I find it highly unlikely that the speed of which the ball is rotating does not affect the force, only the fact it is or is not rotating.

I could be wrong of course about these formulas. Or I could be interpreting them wrong. If any of you actually know something about the magnus force that could help me, I'd love for you to reply to this topic and maybe help me out, since I'm stuck at the moment.
I just recently ran into the same problem as you, and I've been testing the different formulas I've been finding on a shot simulator I'm developing, (for fun purposes) and the formula I found was working. was this one.

where ω and v are the unit vectors.

The think here is as somebody else mentioned CL is in function of the spin magnitude.

What I did to find that function I found a code repository that has lift and drag coefficients (constant) for each of the different clubs a golfer can use, https://github.com/x00126177/GolfBall-Simulator
I then went and looked up the average ball speeds for those clubs for Tour players https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

made a plot in spreadsheets with the data and used a polynomial regression to fit the drag, and lift coefficients to functions of velocity and spin respectively.

here are the functions I found for the drag and lift coefficients from the data I gathered.
CD(v) = 0.0606 + 0.0129v - 2.57E-04v2 + 1.49E-06v3

CD(ω) = 0.176 - 4x10-4ω + 1.36x10-6ω2 - 1.58x10-9ω3 + 6.41x10-13ω4

The results I get are close to what Trackman calculates, but are a bit longer. my guess at the moment is that I'm missing the wind force calculation adjustment.

1. What is the Magnus effect?

The Magnus effect is a phenomenon where a spinning object experiences a lift force perpendicular to the direction of its spin. This effect is commonly observed in sports such as baseball, tennis, and golf.

2. How is the Magnus effect related to aerodynamics?

The Magnus effect is a result of the Bernoulli's principle, which states that an increase in the speed of a fluid (in this case, air) results in a decrease in its pressure. As a spinning object moves through the air, the air on one side of the object moves faster, creating a low-pressure area and causing the object to experience a lift force.

3. What is the correct formula for calculating the Magnus effect?

The correct formula for calculating the Magnus effect is given by F = ρ * v * w * A, where F is the lift force, ρ is the air density, v is the velocity of the object, w is the angular velocity of the spin, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

4. Can the Magnus effect be used for practical applications?

Yes, the Magnus effect has been utilized in various applications such as creating spin-stabilized projectiles and improving the efficiency of wind turbines. It is also being researched for potential applications in aircraft and underwater propulsion.

5. How does the Magnus effect affect the trajectory of a spinning object?

The Magnus effect causes a spinning object to experience a lift force in a direction perpendicular to its spin, which can alter its trajectory. This effect is commonly seen in sports, where players use spin to control the trajectory of the ball.