Help Needed: Kinetic & Potential Energy Physics Question

• Thread starter Chazzer3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the question asks for the speed of the exhaust gases produced when the speed of the rocket, with a mass of 20,000kg, is increased by 5.0 m/s squared by burning 10kg of fuel and oxygen. To solve this, we can use the equation 20,000 kg * (5 m/s) = 10 kg * v, which gives us a speed of 10,000 m/s for the exhaust gases.
Chazzer3
Question on Kinetic and potentail energy!

I need some major help on the physics question below. I need help quit quickly. I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, but i don't think i have ever seen anything like this before. This is the question:

The Speed of the rocket shown, of mass 20 000kg, has to be increased by 5.0 m/s Squared. If it burns 10kg of fuel and oxygen in doing this, what is the speed of the exhaust gases produced?

The diagram of the rocket is irrelivent

I need someone to please explain how to work it out? I just can't figure it out.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"has to be increased by 5.0 m/s Squared"

What does this mean?

StatusX said:
"has to be increased by 5.0 m/s Squared"

What does this mean?
Yeah, speed can't be increased by 5m/s^2. Maybe 5m/s? Or is the acceleration 5m/s^s for some amount of time delta-t?

Chazzer3 said:
I need some major help on the physics question below. I need help quit quickly. I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, but i don't think i have ever seen anything like this before. This is the question:

The Speed of the rocket shown, of mass 20 000kg, has to be increased by 5.0 m/s Squared. If it burns 10kg of fuel and oxygen in doing this, what is the speed of the exhaust gases produced?

The diagram of the rocket is irrelivent

I need someone to please explain how to work it out? I just can't figure it out.

Thanks

If it's 5 m/s, it's just conservation of momentum:

20,000 kg * (5 m/s) = 10 kg * v

So v = 20,000 / 10 * 5 m/s = 10,000 m/s.

From the given above, I agree that we need to use the equation in conservation of momentum.

1. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition.

2. How are kinetic and potential energy related?

Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa. For example, when a ball is thrown into the air, it possesses kinetic energy due to its motion. As it reaches the highest point, it possesses potential energy due to its position. When it falls back to the ground, the potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a rolling ball, and a person running.

4. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a book placed on a shelf, a ball at the top of a hill, and a compressed spring.

5. How is the amount of potential and kinetic energy calculated?

The amount of kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The amount of potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = m * g * h, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground.