Make Constructor for Standard Class

In summary: However, I would recommend avoiding them, especially in code that might be used in a production setting. For background, I'm using this in a dictionary library I'm writing. I'm using a trie. I'm using the conversion operator to allow casting from a trie node/dictionary entry to a string. IMHO, it makes sense to allow a dictionary entry to be casted to a string.Thanks!
TylerH
How can I make a constructor for a standard class that accepts my class? For example, I have a class x and I want to make it possible to C++-style cast it to a string (ie "string(x)" rather than "(string)x"); how do I do that/what does the constructor function declaration look like?

Technology news on Phys.org
TylerH said:
How can I make a constructor for a standard class that accepts my class? For example, I have a class x and I want to make it possible to C++-style cast it to a string (ie "string(x)" rather than "(string)x"); how do I do that/what does the constructor function declaration look like?

Hey TylerH.

Making non-empty constructors are the same as making default constructors: you just declare another constructor with your parameter list.

As an example:

Code:
#include <string> // Custom string class used as an example 

class MyClass
{
     MyClass(); // Default constructor no arguments
     MyClass(string x); // New constructor takes in string
     virtual ~MyClass();

string m_mystring;
}

// Default constructor
MyClass::MyClass()
{
   // Blah blah
   m_myString = string();
}

// Custom constructor
MyClass::MyClass(string x)
{
   m_myString = string(x); // Copy string contents
}

// Destructor
MyClass::~MyClass()
{
   // Assume string destructor cleans up everything for string class
}

Also it depends on how you pass the parameter: either by reference (pointer, address) or by value (put the object on the stack).

I know how to make a constructor. I'm asking how I make one that allows me to cast my class to a string using C++-style casting, which requires that I somehow make a string constructor that accepts my class as a parameter. However, I don't know how to make a constructor for the string class, since I add my constructor to it's definition, because it's a standard class. (Actually, I could, but that would break the standard-ness and thus, defeat the purpose.)

For example:
Code:
#include <string>

using namespace std;

class X{
public:
     X(string s) : x(s) {} 
     string data()
     {
          return x;
     }
private:
     string x
};

int main()
{
     X t("example"); // I know how to do this.
     string u = string(t); // I want to know how to do this.
     // u should be "example."
     return 0;
}

// This is my attempt. I get an error saying it isn't declared in string.
string::string(const X &x)
{
    *this = x.data();
}

Last edited:
You can't add constructors to a standard class in C++.

If you want to, you can define your own class that makes use of a standard class, in which you can define custom constructors.

I like Serena said:
You can't add constructors to a standard class in C++.

If you want to, you can define your own class that makes use of a standard class, in which you can define custom constructors.

What's the best way to allow my class to be casted to a string?

Ah well, you can add a conversion operator to your class.

Code:
class MyClass
{
   operator std::string() const { return x; }
   std::string x;
};

I have learned though that in good programming practices conversion operators should be avoided.
This is due to possibly unexpected type conversions.
Unexpected type conversions are an important pitfall in C++.
For this reason the standard std::string class does not have a conversion operator to a "const char *".
Instead it has a method named c_str().

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Ah well, you can add a conversion operator to your class.

Code:
class MyClass
{
   operator std::string() const { return x; }
   std::string x;
};

I have learned though that in good programming practices conversion operators should be avoided.
This is due to possibly unexpected type conversions.
Unexpected type conversions are an important pitfall in C++.
For this reason the standard std::string class does not have a conversion operator to a "const char *".
Instead it has a method named c_str().
Thanks!

What do you mean "possibly unexpected type conversions"? Could you give an example?

For background, I'm using this in a dictionary library I'm writing. I'm using a trie. I'm using the conversion operator to allow casting from a trie node/dictionary entry to a string. IMHO, it makes sense to allow a dictionary entry to be casted to a string.

You're welcome! :smile:

Here's an example of an unexpected conversion:
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

class MyClass
{
public:
    MyClass(char ch) : m_str(1, ch) {}
    const std::string& toString() const { return m_str; }
private: 
    std::string m_str;
};

int main(void)
{
    MyClass x = 2;
    std::cout << x.toString() << std::endl;
    return 0;
}

Suppose you expected the 2 to be converted to a string.
It didn't.
(What did it do?)

The std::string class is designed to disallow this sort of mistakes.

You seem to have a good justification for using a conversion operator and I would accept that as a code reviewer.

Consider though, whether it really helps your code.
How often does it happen that you need to convert a dictionary entry to a string?
And how bad is it to call a method?

Also note that the conversion operator makes an unnecessary copy of the string, whereas a method like the toString() method in my example can return a const-reference.
(I borrowed the name "toString" from java where that is a standard method.)

What is a constructor in a standard class?

A constructor in a standard class is a special method that is used to initialize objects of that class. It is automatically called when an object of the class is created and can be used to set default values for the object's properties.

How do you make a constructor for a standard class?

To make a constructor for a standard class, you simply need to create a method with the same name as the class and include any necessary parameters and code inside the method. This method will then act as the constructor for that class.

What is the purpose of a constructor in a standard class?

The purpose of a constructor in a standard class is to initialize objects of that class with default values and perform any necessary setup or initialization tasks. It ensures that all objects of the class start with the same initial state.

Can you have multiple constructors in a standard class?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple constructors in a standard class. This is known as constructor overloading and allows you to create objects with different initial states depending on the parameters passed to the constructor.

Are constructors inherited in subclasses of a standard class?

Yes, constructors are inherited in subclasses of a standard class. This means that if a subclass does not have its own constructor, it will use the constructor of its parent class. However, if the subclass does have its own constructor, it will override the constructor of the parent class.