Make it a little harder to find personal set up

• Thread starter Visitor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a user having trouble finding their personal setup options and receiving unwanted emails from the forum. They eventually find the personal settings and unsubscribe from the threads they do not want to receive notifications for. Some users offer advice and explain that the options were given during registration. The conversation also includes some humorous banter about rocket science and the need to read and understand instructions.
Visitor
Could you please make it a little harder to find our personal setup options? It took a few minutes last time and I've been looking for 5 minutes this time but I I am sure I will find it eventually so please make it a little harder.

Here everyone is trying to limit their spam and you people have a stupid option that is on by default that is filling my email with unwanted messages telling me someone has replied to a thread I posted in and IT ISN'T EVEN MY THREAD. I already managed to find personal settings once and turn it off but I am still having my email filled with PF spam. Now if I could only find them damn personal settings and actually have my choices take.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I found the personal settings. I had to log in even though it had my name at the top of the page leading me to believe I was already logged in (first web page bug). Got to personal settings and apparently the setting for receiving these obnoxious emails is set correctly but I am still receiving emails to threads I have posted to. Evidently the setting doesn't affect the old threads I posted to? (second forum bug) Am I going to continue to get spammed until all these threads die?

User cp isn't exactly hard to find. It is in a bar on the top right of every page. In the user cp, there is a list of subscribed threads. (what the option does is make you subscribe to all topics you reply to by default.) Click the unsubscribe next to each to... er... unsubscribe.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Originally posted by FZ+
It's not exactly rocket science.

You'd think that a Visitor from Europa would know rocket science. :wink:

Originally posted by Visitor
Ok, I found the personal settings. I had to log in even though it had my name at the top of the page leading me to believe I was already logged in (first web page bug).
That is not a bug, but a safety feature. You wouldn't want someone to change your user cp when you walk away from a public computer, now would you?

And for your 'spam' issues, when you first register you are given the chance to set all your options. You were definitely given the chance to opt-out.

Originally posted by Phobos
You'd think that a Visitor from Europa would know rocket science. :wink:

I may be from europa but I am not a rccket scientist. We stopped throwing mass to get around a long time ago. I just vacation here in the winter. I spend my summers back home to get away from the heat.

OK, I changed my profile but I am still getting email notifications. PLEASE STOP THE SPAM.

I've never subscribed to threads, but if you go to user cp on the top of the page, do you see anything under subscribed threads? You can also go to the thread which you are receiving email from and unsubscribe there, I imagine.

Not a big deal anyway, since these threads will become inactive after a while. If you don't want to receive spam ALWAYS read the conditions under which you are registering! I hope you learned your lesson..

It's not spam when you ask for it. Un-select "subscribe".

How does that one go...? "be careful what you ask for, cause you might just get it"...Hummm ordered up from my options page...

($0.02)

Also, note that there is a link in the email which allows you to unsubscribe from all threads. Hard to click, but the results are astouning:wink:

Visitor,

When I used to teach in the labs, we had a little saying which covered the general bases for the issues you are having:

If you want to use the computer you have to READ THE SCREEN.

Best wishes on your Forum Foray.

Your kong fu no good Visitor!

Diamond plates vibrating given higher mass on the way down by rotating them on the way down. Just a thought.

Or am I just dumb?

1. How can I make it harder for others to find my personal information online?

There are several steps you can take to make it harder for others to find your personal information online. First, regularly review your privacy settings on social media and adjust them to limit who can see your personal information. Additionally, be cautious about what information you share publicly, such as your full name, address, or phone number. Finally, consider using a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt your internet activity and make it harder for others to track your online presence.

2. Is there a way to remove my personal information from the internet?

While it is nearly impossible to completely remove all of your personal information from the internet, there are steps you can take to minimize its visibility. Start by conducting a Google search of your name and identifying which websites have your personal information. Then, reach out to those websites and request that they remove your information. You can also use online reputation management services to help clean up your online presence.

3. How can I protect my personal information from data breaches?

There is no guaranteed way to protect your personal information from data breaches, but there are steps you can take to minimize your risk. Start by creating strong and unique passwords for all of your online accounts. Additionally, enable two-factor authentication for added security. It's also important to be cautious about sharing personal information online and only do so when necessary. Finally, regularly monitor your financial accounts and credit report for any suspicious activity.

4. Are there laws in place to protect my personal information online?

Yes, there are several laws in place to protect your personal information online. The most well-known is the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the European Union, which gives individuals more control over their personal data and requires companies to obtain consent before collecting and using personal information. In the United States, there are also laws such as the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) that protect specific types of personal information.

5. How do I know if my personal information has been compromised?

If you suspect that your personal information has been compromised, there are several signs to look out for. These include receiving unexpected bills or credit cards in the mail, noticing unfamiliar charges on your financial accounts, or being denied credit for no apparent reason. Additionally, you may receive notifications from companies or organizations that your personal information was involved in a data breach. If you experience any of these signs, it's important to act quickly by reporting the incident and taking steps to secure your personal information.