Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make it a little harder to find personal set up

1. Mar 5, 2004 #1
    Could you please make it a little harder to find our personal setup options? It took a few minutes last time and I've been looking for 5 minutes this time but I I am sure I will find it eventually so please make it a little harder.

Here everyone is trying to limit their spam and you people have a stupid option that is on by default that is filling my email with unwanted messages telling me someone has replied to a thread I posted in and IT ISN'T EVEN MY THREAD. I already managed to find personal settings once and turn it off but I am still having my email filled with PF spam. Now if I could only find them damn personal settings and actually have my choices take.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2004 #2
    Ok, I found the personal settings. I had to log in even though it had my name at the top of the page leading me to believe I was already logged in (first web page bug). Got to personal settings and apparently the setting for receiving these obnoxious emails is set correctly but I am still receiving emails to threads I have posted to. Evidently the setting doesn't affect the old threads I posted to? (second forum bug) Am I going to continue to get spammed until all these threads die?

4. Mar 5, 2004 #3

FZ+

User cp isn't exactly hard to find. It is in a bar on the top right of every page. In the user cp, there is a list of subscribed threads. (what the option does is make you subscribe to all topics you reply to by default.) Click the unsubscribe next to each to... er... unsubscribe.

It's not exactly rocket science.

5. Mar 5, 2004 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd think that a Visitor from Europa would know rocket science. :wink:

6. Mar 5, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is not a bug, but a safety feature. You wouldn't want someone to change your user cp when you walk away from a public computer, now would you?

And for your 'spam' issues, when you first register you are given the chance to set all your options. You were definately given the chance to opt-out.

7. Mar 5, 2004 #6
    I may be from europa but I am not a rccket scientist. We stopped throwing mass to get around a long time ago. I just vacation here in the winter. I spend my summers back home to get away from the heat.

8. Mar 6, 2004 #7
    OK, I changed my profile but I am still getting email notifications. PLEASE STOP THE SPAM.

9. Mar 6, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never subscribed to threads, but if you go to user cp on the top of the page, do you see anything under subscribed threads? You can also go to the thread which you are receiving email from and unsubscribe there, I imagine.

Not a big deal anyway, since these threads will become inactive after a while. If you don't want to receive spam ALWAYS read the conditions under which you are registering! I hope you learned your lesson..

10. Mar 8, 2004 #9

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not spam when you ask for it. Un-select "subscribe".

11. Mar 9, 2004 #10
    How does that one go...? "be careful what you ask for, cause you might just get it"....Hummm ordered up from my options page....

($0.02)

12. Mar 9, 2004 #11
    Also, note that there is a link in the email which allows you to unsubscribe from all threads. Hard to click, but the results are astouning:wink:

13. Mar 10, 2004 #12
    Visitor,

When I used to teach in the labs, we had a little saying which covered the general bases for the issues you are having:

If you want to use the computer you have to READ THE SCREEN.

Best wishes on your Forum Foray.

14. Mar 24, 2004 #13
    Your kong fu no good Visitor!

Diamond plates vibrating given higher mass on the way down by rotating them on the way down. Just a thought.

Or am I just dumb?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?